Crime Alert - March 24, 2008
Over the weekend the following burglaries were reported to the SIUE Police Department:
- Residential Burglary - Woodland Hall - Wallet and personal belongings
- Burglary from Motor Vehicle - Bluff Hall Parking Lot - GPS system
- Burglary from Motor Vehicle - Evergreen Hall Parking Lot - SIUE parking hangtag
- Burglary from Motor Vehicle - Parking Lot F at Vadalabene Ctr.- SIUE parking hangtag
- In all of the above incidents, NO FORCED ENTRY WAS USED.
Crime reduction on campus requires the continued active support of the university community. Following are some crime prevention tips that will help us achieve this goal:
Residence Halls and Cougar Village:
- ALWAYS lock your doors whenever you leave your room or apartment, even if you will only be gone for a moment.
- Make sure your windows are locked. Close your shades at night so no one can see in your room -- ALWAYS lock your doors.
- Leave a light on when you are away. Timers are inexpensive and can be set to turn on a light or radio when you are not home -- ALWAYS lock your doors.
- Do not leave valuables in plain sight. When you will be out, place any valuables in drawers or your closet -- ALWAYS lock your doors.
- Do not leave guests unattended in your room.
- Create an inventory of your belongings listing the item and serial number. Take photos of your valuables. Keep this list and photos in a safe location. This will help assist the police in recovering your items if they are stolen.
- ALWAYS lock the car and roll up the windows when you get out of the vehicle.
- Never leave your keys in the car or the motor running when the vehicle is unattended -- ALWAYS lock your doors and roll up the windows.
- Never leave valuables in plain view. It only takes a few seconds to secure these items in the trunk or at least under the seat -- ALWAYS lock your doors and roll up your windows.
- Try to park in well-lighted areas -- ALWAYS lock your doors and roll up your windows.
- If you are found in the possession of a stolen hangtag, you will be arrested and charged with theft Under $300.
- Never buy a hangtag from an individual, chances are this is stolen property and you could be arrested and charged with Theft or Being in Possession of Stolen Property.
- If you are found in possession of a fraudulent hangtag you will be arrested and charged with Theft of Labor or Services.
If you see anything suspicious or witness a theft or burglary, call 911 to reach the SIUE police. You can also reach the SIUE Police Department by calling the non-emergency line at 650-3324.
Keep your eyes open and, please, if you see it or hear it, report it immediately!!!