Dining Services’ Commitment to Sustainability
Dining Services at the Morris University Center is committed to a long-term vision of excellence in sustaining a clean and healthy campus and Edwardsville community environment. Listed below are several ways that Dining Services at the Morris University Center practices excellence in sustainability.
Community Outreach and Service
- Since 2010, Dining Services has collaborated with Operation Food Search to provide over 300 meals per month to those in need at a local shelter in Granite City, IL
- Since 2012, Dining Services has partnered with the Campus Kitchen Initiative as well as other SIUE departments to coordinate food drives for the Glen-Ed Pantry.
- Through collaboration with Madison and St. Clair County HEAD START programs, Dining Services provides their approximately 1200 students with breakfast and lunch as well as a snack every school day.
Local Vendor Partnerships
- Dining Services collaborates with local farmers and food vendors in the greater St. Louis and southwestern Illinois area to receive daily deliveries of fresh produce and meat products.
- Dining Services, with the assistance of OnSiteWaste and Lean Path monitors food waste and determines what “green” alternatives can be done to minimize food surplus.
- Dining Services conducts a waste audit in hopes of reducing the Morris University Center’s carbon footprint and still create a positive experience for all students and guests.
To see a full list of how other departments are working to stay “green”, please visit the UC Green page.