Who may place items on reserve?
- SIUE instructors and administrators.
What types of items are usually placed on reserve?
- Lovejoy Library books
- Instructor's or department's copies of books
- Photocopies of journal articles
- Textbooks from SIUE Textbook Services
- Homework, quiz and exam solutions, and lecture notes
- At the instructor's request, some of the materials may be available in
Where are print reserve items housed?
- Print items are located behind the Circulation/Reserve Desk on the
1st floor of Lovejoy Library.
When should a request to place items on reserve be made?
- To ensure that reserve items are available at the beginning of an academic term, requests should be made four weeks prior to the beginning of the term.
Are reserve requests accepted after the deadlines?
- Yes. However, workload constraints may delay processing. Requests are processed in the order received. Instructors may revise reserve lists at any time.
How are instructors notified when reserve items are available for use?
- Notification is by e-mail when possible, otherwise by campus mail.
How do students locate and borrow reserve items?
- All course reserve lists are available through the
ILLINET Online Course Reserves.
- Documents can be located by the instructor's name or the course number.
- If the document is available in electronic format, a link will be displayed.
- If no link appears, the document is only available in print at the Circulation Desk on the
1st floor of Lovejoy Library.
- Students may borrow a maximum of two print reserve items at one time. They must complete a form for each requested item and present the form along with a photo I.D. to a Circulation Desk attendant. The items will be retrieved and a due date and time assigned.
What loan periods are available for print reserve items?
- 2 hour
(item must be used on floor 1, 2, or 3 of the Library)
- 1 day
- 3 day
- 7 day
- 14 day
What happens if a borrower fails to return print reserve items on time?
- Fines are assessed for overdue reserve items. The fine rate is $1.00 per hour or day (depending on the loan period) until the item is returned or to a maximum of $15.00.
How long do items remain on reserve?
- Instructors are contacted at least four weeks prior to the start of an academic term to determine the status of items on reserve. Items no longer needed are removed from reserves approximately six weeks after the start of the new term. Instructors needing items returned earlier should contact the
Reserves Supervisor. Personal and departmental items will be returned via campus mail unless the owner arranges to pick them up.
Does Lovejoy Library comply with copyright laws?
- Yes. Lovejoy Library firmly supports and adheres to copyright laws. In cases where multiple copies of a single work are required to support instruction, the Library will seek permission to duplicate the work. The Library pays any fees for duplication of copyrighted material and maintains records of approval.
Who can answer additional questions about Library reserves?
- Please contact the Lovejoy Library Reserves Department at 618-650-2172 or at