|Basic Format |
- Author’s name. Title of the Book. Place of publication: Name of publisher, Date of publication.
A Book with One Author/Editor
- Bowler, P.J. The Eclipse of Darwinism. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1983.
A Translated Book with One Author
- Verneuil, Louis. The Fabulous Life of Sarah Bernhardt. Translated by Ernest Boyd. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1972.
A Book with Two or More Authors/Editor
(NOTE: Only the first author/editor’s name should be listed with the last name appearing first for the purpose of alphabetizing on the Bibliography; the other authors will be listed as “first name last name.”)
- Saith, Ruhi and Barbara Harriss-White. Gender Sensitivity of Well-being Indicators. Geneva: United Nations Research Institute for Social Development, 1998.
A Book with Four or More Authors/Editors
(NOTE: Only the first author/editor's name should be listed with "and others" submitted in place of the other names.)
- Kolodny, Robert and others. Textbook of Human Sexuality for Nurses. Boston: Little, Brown, 1979.
- Fawcett, Barbara and others, eds. Practice and Research in Social Work: Postmodern Feminist Perspecitves. London: Routledge, 2000.
A Book by a Corporate Author/Editor
- American Library Association, Young Adult Services Division, Services Statement Development Committee. Directions for Library Service to Young Adults. Chicago: American Library Association, 1978.
A Volume in a Multivolume Work with a General Title and Editor(s)
- Ray, Gordon N., ed. An Introduction to Literature. Vol. 2, The Nature of Drama, by Hubert Hefner. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1959.
A Second or Later Edition
- Bober, M. M. Karl Marx’s Interpretation of History, 2d ed. Harvard Economic Studies. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1948.
An Article or Chapter in an Anthology
- Zakin, Emily. "Beyond the Sexual Contract: Traversing the Fantasy of Fraternal Alliance." In Between the Psyche and the Social: Psychoanalytic Social Theory, ed. Oliver Kelley and Steve Edwin, 159-83. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2002.
IIf your source does not appear in this guide or for further information or examples, consult A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations (Call Number: Ref LB2369 .T8 1996 ) available in the Ready Reference Collection at the Information Desk or in the Reference Collection. You can also refer to the Instruction Office's list of resources; we specifically recommend Ohio State University’s Turbaian Citation Guide and Gallaudet University’s Guidelines page. You can also contact the SIUE Writing Center.