Understanding Call Numbers
How are the books in Lovejoy Library arranged?
- Lovejoy Library, like most academic libraries, uses the
Library of Congress Classification System (commonly referred to as LC) to group books by broad categories. A unique combination of letters and numbers identifies each separate book in the Library.
- The LC System organizes materials according to twenty-one categories. The categories (labeled A - Z excluding I, O, W, X, and Y) are further divided by the addition of one or more letters and a set of numbers. Understanding that books arranged using the LC System are grouped by subject allows users to locate additional relevant resources on the subject in the same area.
How are separate books identified?
- Each book in the Library has its own unique identity code called a
Call Number that indicates where a book is shelved. A Call Number may be formatted differently on the spine of the book than it is in the online catalog.
|On the spine of a book as:
In the Library's Online Catalog as:
Where are separate books located?
Collections Directory will indicate where books, materials, and other resources are shelved or stored.
- Some call numbers contain a
Special Location Symbol. For example, a call number that is prefaced with
REF indicates that the book is shelved in the Reference Collection rather than the general collection. Below is a list of some of the common
Special Location Symbols and their respective locations:
ARCHIVE Archives - Basement
FOLIO Oversized Books - 2nd Floor
REF Reference - 1st Floor
RES Course Reserves - 1st Floor
SPECIAL Special Collections - 3rd Floor
- Users wanting to access material in Special Collections must submit a request at the Circulation Desk. A staff member will then retrieve the item.
- If a book is not on the shelf in its appropriate location, remember to: check the sorting shelves located near the area; consult the staff at the Circulation Desk to inquire whether the book is in the process of being re-shelved; or, if the book is lost, submit a request for the book at the Information Desk.
Reading a Call Number
TITLE: MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
AUTHOR: Gibaldi, Joseph
CALL NUMBER: LB2369 .G53 1999
For additional assistance contact Lydia Jackson, Instruction Librarian (
email@example.com or 618-650-2604) or the Information Desk (618-650-INFO).