The Frank Cherry Collection consists of stock arrangements compiled by Frank Cherry and Joseph Ladd, in whose band Cherry played before forming his own band after Ladd retired. The collection was donated to Lovejoy Library at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville in November 1992 after Mr. Cherry's death.
Frank J. Cherry was born December 21, 1909, to Adalbert and Mary Cherry. He was married to Erna Gudiswitz, and they were the parents of five children - a son and four daughters. Frank Cherry died November 17, 1992.
Mr. Cherry played the clarinet and saxophone (mostly clarinet) and was known for his band's renditions of polkas and waltzes played at dances in a 75-mile radius around the Saint Louis metropolitan area. His band usually consisted of a trumpet, clarinet-saxophone, guitar, piano and drums. Frank Cherry was a member of the American Federation of Musicians Local 98 in Edwardsville.
(Adapted from information provided in December 2001 by Bob Wehling, past President of the American Federation of Musicians Local 98.)
E-mail comments and inquiries about the Frank Cherry Collection to Therese Dickman at email@example.com or call 618-650-2695.