What is E-Reserves?
- E-Reserves is a service of Lovejoy Library that delivers course reading reserves over the Web. Instructors choose which items are to be available electronically. Students may read and print reserves documents from any properly-configured workstation on the Internet.
Is E-Reserves the same as BlackBoard?
- No. BlackBoard is an integrated system for delivering course content, including readings, over the Web. Readings for BlackBoard courses are available only to students enrolled in the course.
Are all course reading reserves available on the Web?
- No. Some items are only available in print at the Circulation Desk on the 1st floor of Lovejoy Library.
Who can read an E-Reserves document?
- Anyone using a public workstation in Lovejoy Library or an Academic Computing lab
- Any current, financially-clear SIUE student from any location
- Any current SIUE employee from any location
Do I have to use E-Reserves?
- No. Paper copies of all course reserves documents are available at the Circulation Desk on the 1st floor of Lovejoy Library.
How can I find the E-Reserves documents for my course?
- All E-Reserves documents are available through I-Share Online Course Reserves.
- You can search for your reserve documents by the instructor's name or the course number.
- After you locate the document you wish to read, click on the link to download and read it.
- If no link appears, the document is only available in print at the Circulation Desk on the 1st floor of Lovejoy Library.
Do I need a password to read an E-Reserves document?
- If you are using an SIUE workstation, no login is required. SIUE workstations include all those in the Library, Academic Computing labs, campus offices, on-campus student housing, and those connected to the Internet via the SIUE modem pool.
- If you are not using an SIUE workstation, you must login with your SIUE I.D. number printed on the front of your ID Card. Include the prefix number of 21811 and your ID number. Leave no space between the two numbers.
What software do I need to access an E-Reserves document with my computer?
- Virtually any modern web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.
- Acrobat Reader (version 4.0 or higher). The latest version is available free from Adobe. Acrobat Reader enables reading and printing the Portable Data Format (PDF) files used for E-Reserves.
How should I configure the software?
- Follow the software manufacturer's instructions to install the Web browser and Acrobat Reader.
- If you are using Acrobat Reader 7.0 or 8.0, choose Edit > Preferences from the menu bar. Then select Internet from the side-bar. UN-check Display PDF in Browser in the Web Browser Options section of the screen.
- Click OK
How long does it take to download an E-Reserves document?
- Download time depends on the size of the document and the speed of your network connection. For a typical 6-7 page document of about 500 kilobytes, approximate download times are:
- 14.4 Kbps dialup modem: 5 minutes, 12 seconds
- 28.8 Kbps dialup modem: 2 minutes, 36 seconds
- 56 Kbps dialup modem: 1 minute, 9 seconds
- 640 Kbps DSL or cable modem: 6 seconds
- Telephone line noise, technical problems at your Internet service provider, and network congestion will increase download times.
How can I get additional help with E-Reserves? Revised 8.27.07 Kelly