TELEPHONE SERVICE & REPAIR
If you cannot place calls off campus using STAN, call x5500 for assistance.
Many telephone troubles have nothing to do with the telephone line itself. ITS may charge $55.00 if a technician is dispatched and the problem is determined to be related to the personal phone equipment, user error, or damage incurred thereof. Therefore, before you contact ITS regarding service problems, please try the following:
- Check the cords that go from the phone to the receiver and from the receiver to the wall to make sure they are not frayed or unplugged.
- If you do not have a dial tone, plug the phone into a different jack to determine if it is your phone or the wiring. Telecom only repairs problems with internal wiring and phone jacks. All phones are the personal property and the personal responsibility of the resident.
- If you have an answering machine, unplug it and then plug it back in again.
- If you have a cordless phone, make sure that it is fully charged. You may also try returning the cordless phone to the base unit, unplugging the base unit's power cord, and then plugging it in again.
- If you are experiencing static or cross talk and you are using a cordless phone, try using a regular "corded" phone. Due to the close proximity of your neighbors' phones, cordless phones are not recommended.
If you have tried all of the steps above and your phone still does not work, dial x5500 to report your trouble. Be prepared to provide your name, building, room number, phone number with problem and alternate contact phone number.
Most troubles are repaired within 24 to 48 hours, excluding Saturday, Sunday and University Closure days.