Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE

Institutional Header

Transferring Your Immigration Status


Every F-1 and J-1 student has a record in the SEVIS system. This record can only be maintained by one educational institution (university or school) at a time when you are in the United States. Transferring your I-20 involves transferring your SEVIS record from one educational institution to another within the United States. Please note that in this context, the term "transfer" means changing universities either in the beginning, middle or end of a degree program, or between degrees. It is important to consult with international student advisors at both the old school and the new school to make sure the F-1 or J-1 transfer is handled properly.

Eligibility for a SEVIS Record Transfer

F-1 Students:

  • An F-1 student is eligible to transfer to SIUE if he/she is in valid F-1 status at the time of transfer
  • The deadline for F-1 students to request a transfer is 60 days after the program completion date or OPT end date, whichever is later.

J-1 Students:

  • You must currently be maintaining J-1 status
  • You must coordinate your SEVIS transfer before your current DS-2019 expires
  • The deadline to transfer is the program completion date or the end of the academic training period, whichever is later.

Transfer Procedures

SEVIS transfer to SIUE

  • Admission to SIUE (Approved by both the academic department and the Office of International Admissions)
  • Notify the international student advisor at your current school that you intend to transfer to SIUE and have he/she complete the SIUE Transfer In Form. The advisor will enter a SEVIS release date into your record. On this date, your SEVIS record will automatically transfer to SIUE via the internet. The release date is usually the last day of enrollment at your current institution.
  • Submit the SIUE Transfer In Form to the SIUE Office of International Affairs, Campus Box 1616, Edwardsville, IL 62026-1616 or via fax at 618-650-5099. SIUE SEVIS code is CHI214F10600000.
  • You must physically report to the SIUE Office of International Affairs in the Student Success Center (SSC) Room 0300 for mandatory orientation. The SIUE Office of International Affairs will update your SEVIS record to complete the transfer process and issue a new I-20 after you have registered for classes at SIUE.

SEVIS Transfer from SIUE to another institution within the United States

  • Complete the SIUE Transfer Out Form
  • Submit a copy of your admission letter from your new institution
  • If you have registered for classes at SIUE for the semester you are transferring, you must go to the Student Service Center in Rendleman Hall (Room 1309) and withdraw from classes before you leave for your new institution. 

The international advisor will release your SEVIS record to the new school. The date of your release depends on your program status. For more information, contact the SIUE Office of International Affairs.

Traveling as a Transfer Student

Transfer students may travel and re-enter the U.S. any time between school programs. However, transfer students must re-enter with their SIUE I-20 or DS-2019 and not the previous school's document. F-1 and J-1 students must have valid visa stamps to re-enter the U.S. F-1 students can use a valid visa stamp issued for their pre-SIUE institution, as long as the SEVIS ID number remains the same.

If the J-1 student plans to re-enter the US following the transfer, the J-1 student must apply for a new J-1 visa with the new institution's DS-2019. If the J-1 student remains in the U.S. between transfer institutions and does not leave the country, a new J-1 visa stamp is not required.

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff socialoff