Money & Items to Bring
- I-20 from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- Valid passport
- Valid U.S. Visa
- Your admission letter from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- Airplane ticket(s)
- Cash, traveler's checks or any international bank card (ATM or debit card); $800-$1,000 in U.S. currency for travel emergencies and settling-in expenses. (Problems with flight connections could make it necessary for you to spend the night in a hotel, which could cost $100 or more. Try to prepare for all unexpected expenses associated with international travel.)
- Phone numbers and email addresses of emergency contacts at home and in the United States
- Phone numbers and email addresses of relatives, friends, the ISSS office (618-650-3785 open during business hours M-F 8:00am to 4:30pm) and a representative of your nationality group at the University.
- An English translation of your medical history and documents
- Medical records (including vaccination records) for your accompanying spouse/children (if applicable)
Detailed information on most of these topics is available in the International Student Handbook. Please read the handbook very thoroughly as you prepare for your transition to Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Many questions that you might have about housing, registration and life in Edwardsville are answered in the handbook. Please contact the ISSS office if you have any questions. We are here to help you, and look forward to seeing you in Edwardsville!