Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE

Institutional Header

Inviting Your Spouse/Child

If you want to bring your spouse/children to the United States, students need to obtain a new form I-20 for them to apply for an F-2 visa at the US embassy or consulate in their home country. F-2 dependents are defined as a spouse or an unmarried minor child (below 21 years of age) of an F-1 student.

Before SIUE Office of International Affairs can issue this document you will have to provide the following support documents for each family member.

Inviting an F-2 Dependent

F-1 students may invite a spouse or unmarried children to join them at SIUE by the providing following document to the Office of International Affairs: 

  1. Complete I-20 Request Form to Add F-2 Dependents 
  2. Evidence of financial support (bank statement, sponsor letter, etc):
    • $5,000 for spouse
    • $4,000.00 for each child
  3. Passport copies for each dependent
  4. Original or attested true copy of marriage certificate (spouse)
  5. Birth Certificate (for each child)

All family members must be covered by medical insurance while they are here in the United States.

When the F-2 dependents arrive in the U.S., the F-1 student must update his/her information to reflect the presence of dependents. Bring all I-20 documents and family member passports to SIUE Office of International Aaffairs to make copies for our records.

If the F-2 dependent changes his or her status successfully to an F-1, the F-1 principal visa holder must have his/her name and dependent expenses removed from the form I-20. To do this, stop by SIUE Office of International Affairs to request this change on your I-20.

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff socialoff