AGREEMENT TO HOST J-1 EXCHANGE VISITOR & J-2 DEPENDENTS
Return to Sandra Tamari, Office of International Affairs, Box 1616,
Phone: 650-3781 FAX: 650-5099 firstname.lastname@example.org
There are mandatory US Department of State (DOS) compliance requirements that must be met for a J-1 exchange visitor to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program. Therefore, the SIUE faculty sponsor hosting the J-1 scholar and any J-2 dependents must accept the following responsibilities in order for the Office of International Affairs to issue the DS-2019 form(s) for the J-1 and J-2’s:
1. Monitor the J-1’s conduct to ensure s/he engages in activities appropriate for the Exchange Visitor category and makes reasonable progress toward the program objectives.
2. Keep track of the J-1’s DS-2019 expiration date and request an extension of program if required.
3. Notify the Office of International Affairs of the J-1’s departure date from the US-particularly if departure is earlier than the original expiration date.
4. Inform the Office of International Affairs of any changes to the J-1’s program including:
a. Changes in local address, email or phone number
b. Changes in types or amounts of funding
c. Changes in program activities
d. Travel abroad and re-entry of both visitor and dependents
e. Any employment or lectures receiving remuneration
5. Provide assistance in securing housing.
6. Ensure the J-1 and J-2 dependents comply with all DOS regulations and SIUE policies and ensure that the J-1’s and J-2’s understand that they must comply with all regulations or risk termination of the SIUE program and their valid legal status in the U.S.
7. Inform J-1 that mandatory health insurance must be purchased for the J-1 and J-2 for duration of program in the United States. Proof of insurance signed by SIUE Health Services is required.
8. Provide exchange visitors with cross-cultural experiences exposing them to American society and culture. Encourage and arrange opportunities for visitors to learn about life in the US and its people. A written summary of cultural activities will be provided to the Office of International Affairs at the end of exchange visitor’s stay.
For all J-1 requests, please attach the following along with the J-1 Information Form:
1. Passport bio page (for J-1 and J-2 dependents)
2. Copy of departmental invitation letter detailing program objectives
3. Resume/CV (publications list not necessary)
4. Copies of any previous DS-2019’s
5. Proof of funding (in English) which meets these minimum requirements:
a. $1800 per month for the exchange visitor
b. $ 500 per month for the J-2 spouse
c. $ 350 per month for each J-2 child
6. Proof of English proficiency by one of the following:
a. TOEFL with minimum score of 75 IBT or 500 PBT
b. IELTS with minimum overall band score of 6.0
MANDATORY INSURANCE INFORMATION
Please note that J-1 exchange visitors (and their J-2 family members) are required, as a condition of their visa status, to carry health insurance. Minimum coverage must provide the following:
1. Medical benefits of at least of $100,000 per accident/illness
2. A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident/illness
3. Expenses associated with the medical evacuation to the home country ($50,000)
4. Repatriation of remains ($25,000)
5. Any policy must be underwritten by an insurance corporation having an A.M. Best rating of “A- “or above, and Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-“or above, a Standard & Poor’s Claims-paying Ability rating of “A” or above, a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of “B+” or above, OR backed by the full faith & credit of the government of the exchange visitor’s home country.
All J1's should purchase health insurance through SIUE Health Services immediately upon their arrival to SIUE. Program participation with the Department of State will not be verified by staff in the Office of International Affairs until proof of insurance is presented. Insurance coverage for all J-1s and J-2s is required for the entire duration of the program. Absences of from the United States do not waive the health insurance requirement.