Stress Management - Positively Healthy
- Maintain a positive attitude. Negativity drains energy and motivation, so avoid it.
- Smile. Smiling can reduce your stress and put you, and others around you, in a better mood.
- Try self-talk. Give yourself positive affirmations in moments of doubt: "I can make it through this."
- Resist perfectionism. There is no such thing as perfect, and striving for perfection may be adding unnecessary stress to your routine. Do your best; no one can ask more than that.
- Stress often is caused by poor time management. Prepare a list of tasks and rank them in order of priority. Plan your day around your priorities, getting the most important tasks done first.
- Create realistic expectations and deadlines for yourself; there are only so many hours in the day.
- Avoid unnecessary stress.
- Learn to say "No." Don't take on more than you can handle. Know your boundaries and stick to them. Talk to your supervisor about prioritizing your duties in a way that meets the university's goals.