SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
TITLE: Southern Illinois University invites applications and resumes for the position of Executive Director for Governmental and Public Affairs
LOCATION: Springfield, Illinois.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Executive Director serves as the senior advisor to the President of Southern Illinois University on matters related to governmental (state and federal), media, and external (community and corporate) affairs with the following duties and/or responsibilities:
• Coordinate all governmental activities for the University;
• Serve as chief media spokesperson for the Office of the President;
• Build/maintain positive rapport with members and leadership of the General Assembly, the Governor’s Cabinet, Congressional members and staff, constitutional officers, and the Illinois Board of Higher Education;
• Serve as chief resource person for all legislative and congressional activities pertinent to the University;
• Serve as contact person for all legislative and congressional members and staff;
• Work with staffs of the campuses in the identification and pursuit of state and federal initiatives;
• Assist in the operational implementation of SIU’s governmental internship program;
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel to the campuses in Carbondale and Edwardsville is required.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: The successful candidate shall have:
• Master’s degree in political science, communications or a J.D. degree preferred;
• Seven years’ successful professional experience in governmental relations positions;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Strong academic record;
• Strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to work closely with staffs from campuses as appropriate;
• Commitment to the mission of the University;
• Exceptional judgment and analytical problem solving abilities;
• Highest ethical standards, integrity, and trustworthiness;
• Ability to think strategically and proactively;
• Ability to work in a team-oriented environment with an emphasis on collaboration.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated professional experience in the Illinois government, working knowledge of Illinois General Assembly, and academic training in a relevant discipline.
This is a security-sensitive position. A pre-employment background investigation, including a criminal background check, is required.
COMPENSATION: Compensation shall be commensurate with successful applicant’s experience and academic credentials.
Southern Illinois University consists of two main campuses – Southern Illinois University Carbondale, with a School of Medicine in Springfield; and Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, with a School of Dental Medicine in Alton, a nursing complex in Springfield, and a Center in East St. Louis. With a total budget of more than $860 million, the University serves nearly 34,000 students and offers two associate, 147 bachelor, 121 master, and 38 doctoral and professional degree programs.
SUBMIT LETTER OF APPLICATION, RESUME, AND CONTACT INFORMATION FOR THREE REFERENCES TO:
Search/Executive Director for Governmental and Public Affairs
Southern Illinois University
1400 Douglas Drive
Carbondale, Illinois 62901-6801
To receive full consideration, please submit materials by February 4, 2013.
Southern Illinois University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive full consideration.