The following is a current civil service vacancy at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Applicants compete by examination.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please bring the requested documents and registration fee to Rendleman Hall, Room 3210, Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
Note: Some positions may be represented by a union and may require union dues.
POLICE OFFICER-UNVIERSITY POLICE DEPARTMENT
Description: The purpose of this position is to perform general duty police work which includes the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws, ordinances, and University rules and regulation; and, the meeting of service related needs of the community best met through the police department. The position will typically patrol the University community in a police car, on foot, or on a bicycle; respond to requests for non-enforcement service assistance to the University community; identify, investigate, and report hazards which might endanger the public safety and/or university plant or equipment; control and assist the movement of vehicle and pedestrian traffic by physically directing traffic; assist other local law enforcement agencies; and, perform other related duties as assigned.
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Possession of a valid driver's license
3. No record of conviction of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude
4. Eligibility for bonding, if required by the employing institution
5. Successful completion of the Basic Law Enforcement Officers' Training course as prescribed by the Illinois Law Enforcement Officers' Training & Standards Board, if required by the employing institution. All recruit law enforcement officers who successfully complete this course after September 1, 1984 are required to successfully pass the Law Enforcement Officers' Certification Examination. (Applicants lacking such training at time of appointment will be required to complete such requirement during, and as a part of, their probationary period of employment in this class.)
6. At least 21 years of age upon employment. (This requirement may be further defined by local recruitment, examination, and employment policies, provided age requirements have been met with regard to all other applicable state and federal regulations in this respect.)
NOTE: Persons who have not successfully completed the mandated training course approved by the Illinois Law Enforcement Officers' Training & Standards Board in the use of a suitable type of firearm, must complete the course as a part of their probationary period. No appointed police officers are authorized to carry a service weapon until successfully completing such training.
Starting salary: $21.40 per hour (starting salary for hire date to 6 months), *$22.59 per hour (salary for 6 months to 1 year service), *$23.78 (starting salary after successful completion of one year probationary period)
Application deadline: October 22, 2009 by 3 p.m.
Qualified applicants must submit a Civil Service application, resume and unofficial transcripts to:
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Offices of Human Resources
Campus Box 1040
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1040
Or email your Civil Service application (required), resume and unofficial transcripts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A completed application packet consists of the following items. All application materials must be brought to registration in the Office of Human Resources (Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.) by the application deadline date.
Civil Service Application
2. Authorization for Release of Information
3. Statement of a Drug-free Workplace
4. Resume (optional)
5. Unofficial college transcripts (if applicable)
6. Military form DD-214 (required for Veteran's Preference points)
7. Valid driver's license
8. Registration fee*
*A $10.00 (CASH ONLY) REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT IS DUE AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION. APPLICANT MUST GIVE A 24-HOUR CANCELLATION NOTICE TO RECEIVE A REFUND. OTHERWISE, YOUR DEPOSIT WILL BE RETURNED AFTER ALL ELEMENTS OF THE EXAMINATION HAVE BEEN COMPLETED.
Applicants absolutely unable to access or pick up information may have someone else do so, or we will mail it to them. The Office of Human Resources will not be responsible if you do not receive the information or if it is not returned before the deadline.
THIS IS A SECURITY-SENSITIVE POSITION AND A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION AND DRUG TEST MUST BE COMPLETED BEFORE ANY OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT IS MADE.
*Only one Civil Service application is required to be completed per year. Please use only one application to apply for multiple positions. The Office of Human Resources will not contact applicants that do not meet the minimum qualifications listed.
If qualifying by education, you must submit your unofficial transcript at the time of application. Applicants who qualify for Veteran's Preference must submit a copy of form DD214 at the time of application.
Applicants may be subject to a background check and/or Drug Screening prior to an offer of employment.
As an affirmative action employer, SIUE offers equal employment opportunity without regard to (1) race, (2) color, (3) creed or (4) religion, (5) age, (6) sex, (7) national origin, or (8) disability.
The SIUE ANNUAL SECURITY REPORT contains campus safety and security information and crime statistics for the past three (3) calendar years. This report is published in compliance with Federal law, entitled the "Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act." You may also access this report through the SIUE Home Page under Ready References, Quick Links, of Publications/Reports. For those without computer access, a paper copy of the report may be obtained from: Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration, Rendleman Hall, Room 2228.