The following is a current Civil Service vacancy at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete and submit a Civil Service application, detailed resume outlining specific skills, and unofficial transcript to the Office of Human Resources.
Note: Some positions may be represented by a union and may require union dues.
IT TECHNICAL ASSOCIATE - NETWORK TECHNICIAN - IT SERVICES (2 POSITIONS)
Description: The Network Technician position primarily provides tier one support for network equipment and services that are specified and configured by network engineers. As the first level of network support, this individual provides assistance to other IT system administrators when troubleshooting server and workstation connectivity issues. Other duties include:
• Perform maintenance and installation tasks as required by network engineering team.
• Configure and troubleshoot network ports; update documentation and records.
• Assist with advanced troubleshooting of network core devices, firewalls, WiFi, and VPN systems.
• Assist Communications Technicians with cable infrastructure installation and troubleshooting when needed.
• Respond on-site to help students, faculty, and staff troubleshoot network connectivity issues.
1. Any combination totaling two years from the following categories:
a. progressively more responsible work experience in IT-related profession
b. college course work in Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline,
as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
• 60 semester hours or Associate's Degree equals one year
• 90-120 semester hoiurs or Bachelor's Degree equals two years.
Additional Attributes and Experience Required by the Hiring Department:
1. Ability to work with end users to troubleshoot and understand network systems.
2. Ability to act as an intermediary between end users and network engineers/system administrators.
3. Two years of experience supporting IT systems in a networked environment.
4. Knowledge of Ethernet, TCP/IP, and WiFi fundamentals.
5. Working knowledge of personal computers, mobile devices, and their connections to various network types.
Starting Salary Range: $3,500 per month
Application Deadline: May 8, 2013
Residency: Illinois residency is required.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Qualified applicants must submit a Civil Service application http://www.siue.edu/humanresources/forms/pdf/APPLICATION_FOR_CIVIL_SERVICE_EMPLOYMENT.doc (required), detailed resume and unofficial transcripts to:
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Office of Human Resources
Campus Box 1040
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1040
Or email your Civil Service application (required), detailed resume and unofficial transcripts to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only one Civil Service application is required to be completed per year. Please use only one application to apply for multiple positions. The Office of Human Resources will not contact applicants that do not meet the minimum qualifications listed. If qualifying by education, you must submit your transcript at the time of application. Applicants qualifying for Veteran's preference must submit a copy of form DD214 at the time of application. Applicants will be subject to a background check and/or drug screening prior to an offer of employment.
For more information please visit the Office of Human Resources website at www.siue.edu/humanresources or call Civil Service Testing at 618-650-2190.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, national origin, religion, disability, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation or veteran's status in violation of Title VII.
The SIUE Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://www.siue.edu/securityreport. The report contains campus safety and security information, crime statistics, fire safety policies, and fire statistics for the previous three calendar years. This report is published in compliance with Federal law, titled the "Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act" and the Higher Education Opportunity Act also known as the "Campus Fire Safety Right to Know." For those without computer access, a paper copy of the report may be obtained, with a 24-hour notice, from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration, Rendleman Hall, Room 2228, 618-650-2536.