Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE
Human Resources

Human Resources
Institutional Header

State University Retirement System (SURS) Disability

Eligibility and Application

If an employee needs to file for SURS disability, contact Benefits in the Office of Human Resources. Employees who have at least two years of SURS credit or have less than two years but have incurred a disability as the result of an accident, and may be off work longer than 60 calendar days, should file for disability benefits through the State Universities Retirement System. If an employee believes they will be off work longer than 60 days, the employee should contact the Benefits department who will mail the employee an Application for Disability. It is recommended employees start the process during the 60 days instead of waiting until they have reached 60 days off work. If an employee meets the criteria, they will be sent an Application for Disability. Once completed and returned to Benefits, the application will be forwarded to the State Universities Retirement System.

When an employee receives their last payroll check from the University, Benefits will send an Employer's Report of Disability notice to SURS. This provides SURS with the payroll information they need to process the disability claim.

What to Expect

SURS disability payments will be sent directly from SURS. Employees should expect to receive a check or electronic deposit from SURS after the following occur:

  • employees have been off longer than 60 calendar days and have exhausted all sick leave and any vacation leave they elected to use
  • SURS has received the required documentation from the employee's doctor and has determined the employee is eligible for benefits
  • SURS has received the Employer's Report of Disability from Benefits

For more information about SURS disability, please visit

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff socialoff