Supervision of Children at Cougar Village
University Housing is dedicated to fostering a safe and respectful living environment for all members of our community. Out of concern for the safety and well being of minor children living in Cougar Village, University Housing has developed the following expectations and guidelines regarding child supervision in conjunction with the Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS) and Southern Illinois University Police Department (SIUPD).
As outlined in the University Housing Living Guide, parents and guardians are expected to provide appropriate supervision for all children living in University Housing.
- No child under the age of 10 should be left at home or in the community unsupervised.
- A child 10 years of age or older may be left unattended if the child is developmentally ready Being ready to stay home alone or being ready to baby-sit other children means your child is able to understand the following information:
- Their home address/telephone number.
- How to contact their parent(s)/guardian(s)
- How contact the police and/or ambulance
- What to do if either themselves or another child injured
- What to do in an emergency (fire, intruder, inclement weather, etc.)
As a result:
- All children in the Family Resource Center programs will be required to be accompanied by an authorized individual to and from the FRC and will also be signed in and out of the program daily by the authorized individual.
- University Housing staff will follow up judicially with the parents/guardians of any child left unattended or unsupervised.
- All University Housing staff members are trained to contact SIUPD if there is a concern regarding the safety and/or wellbeing of a child. We do so because we care. Members of our community are also encouraged to contact SIUPD if they ever have a concern about the safety and/or wellbeing of a child.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call the Sarah Kirkpatrick, Community Director at 650-2964 or the Assistant Community Director at 650-5367.