University Housing utilizes a comprehensive assessment model that includes the following types of assessment:
- needs assessment
- satisfaction assessment
- environment assessment
- outcomes assessment
- comparable institution assessment
- national standards assessment
- cost effectiveness assessment
Assessment tools used by University Housing include:
- ACUHO-I Benchmarking – The Association of College and University Housing Officers International (ACUHO-I) and EBI Benchmarking Assessments partnered to develop powerful assessment tools for residence life. The assessment is rooted in educational theory and research, uses rigorous statistical methods, and is closely aligned with ACUHO-I Professional Standards. The on line gathering of data is obtained in March.
- Map-Works – The instrument is used during the first semester of the freshmen year to attain the needs of first-year residents as they transition to college.
- Housing Exit survey – This instrument is given to all residential students who cancel their housing contract during the academic year.
- Housing Renewal Survey – This survey is given to all residential students who do not renew their housing contract for the next academic year. The survey is split into groups: those who are returning to SIUE and those who are not.