Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE
Graduate Students
Graduate Students

Tuition & Fees

Financial Responsibility
Determination of Residency Status
Official Withdrawal and Refunds
Graduate Student Tuition

Tuition And Fees

The tuition and fees charged students are established by the Board of Trustees and are subject to change whenever conditions warrant.

Financial Responsibility

The University has an installment payment plan designed to make payment of tuition, fees, and other charges as convenient as possible. Failure to meet financial obligations will have serious consequences. In addition to service charges on past due amounts, transcripts and diplomas will not be issued to students with a past due debt to the University. Continued failure to pay a past due debt may result in the debt being referred to a collection agency. In that event, collection costs will be added to the student's account.

Determination of Residency Status

Students' residency status affects two primary considerations: tuition and financial assistance. Ordinarily, determination of residency status is made by the Office of Admissions Review and Processing from evidence furnished on the application to the University. If such evidence is not sufficient or if records establish that students do not meet the requirements for resident status as defined in the following regulations, nonresident status shall be assigned.

SIUE has adopted the optional residency status tuition policy for Missouri residents in graduate school. Under this policy, Missouri residents may enroll for up to six hours per semester and be assessed tuition and fees at in-state rates. This policy does not apply to students enrolling in the School of Dental Medicine.

Adults, to be considered residents for purposes of tuition, must have been bona fide residents of the State of Illinois for a period of at least six consecutive months immediately preceding the beginning of any term at the University and must continue to maintain a bona fide residence in the State. Adult students who have a parent or both parents maintaining bona fide residence in the State and who reside in the parental home or elsewhere in the State are considered resident students. "Bona Fide Residence" refers to the true, fixed, and permanent home and place of habitation to which individuals intend to return after a temporary absence. Evidence used to determine bona fide residence includes such items as voter registration, place of filing tax return, proof of property ownership or year-around residence, driver's license, automobile registration, or place of employment.

Minors are considered to be persons under eighteen years of age. The residence of minors shall be considered to be and to change with that of the parent(s) or legal or natural guardian(s). Parents or legal or natural guardians will not be considered residents of the State unless they maintain a bona fide and permanent place of abode within the State. If minors are emancipated, are completely self-supporting, and actually reside in the State, those individuals shall be considered residents even though the parents or guardians may reside outside the State. Marriage or active military service shall be regarded as effecting the emancipation of minors for the purpose of this regulation.

Nonresident students married to residents of the State may be classified as residents while residing in the State. The spouses through whom students claim residence must demonstrate resident status in compliance with the requirements applicable to all students seeking resident status.

Students who are not citizens of the United States of America, to be considered residents for tuition purposes, must either be married to residents or have permanent resident status with the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service and must also meet and comply with all other applicable regulations to establish resident status. Students considered residents for tuition purposes may need to meet additional criteria in order to be eligible for federal student financial assistance.

Persons actively serving in one of the Armed Forces of the United States, stationed and present in the State in connection with that service, and submitting evidence of such service and station, shall be treated as residents while stationed and present in Illinois. If the spouses or dependent children of such members of the Armed Forces also live in the State, similar treatment shall be granted to them.

Persons actively serving outside the State in one of the Armed Forces of the United States are considered residents only on the basis of having been residents of the State at the time of entry into military service. Those separated from active military service are considered residents of Illinois immediately upon separation on the basis of (1) having been residents of the State at the time of entry into military service, (2) having been treated as residents while in the military by attending school at this University while stationed within the State, or (3) having resided within the State for a period of six months after separation.

Students may have their residency status reclassified on the basis of additional or changed information by filing a written request for review with the Service Center. The written request for review must be filed within 30 school days from the day on which classes begin for the term for which a residency change is requested. A student who is dissatisfied with the ruling may appeal to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs by filing a written request with that office within 20 days of the notice of the first ruling.

Official Withdrawal and Refunds

A graduate student who registers in any term and then decides not to attend classes after satisfying the bill for tuition and fees must officially withdraw from school for that term. When it is necessary to withdraw, a student initiates official withdrawal action in the Service Center, Rendleman Hall, room 1309.

A refund of tuition and fees is permitted only if the withdrawal and refund request are completed during the first four weeks of the term. Effective Spring 2004, students who withdraw from any class by the last day of the second week of class will receive a refund of 100% of their tuition and fees. Students who withdraw from all classes by the last day of the fourth week of class will receive a refund of 50% of tuition and fees, less an administrative fee equal to the lesser of 5% of assessed tuition and fees or $100.

Deadlines for weekend, special format, and short term classes differ from those outlined above. For information, please contact the Service Center at 618-650-2080 or .

No official withdrawal is permitted during the last two weeks of the term. The registration calendar in the class schedule gives specific dates concerning withdrawal and refunding of fees. These same policies apply to weekend classes.

Graduate School policy allows holders of Competitive Graduate Awards full use of the tuition waiver for any awardee who is enrolled for at least one-half of the semester and for graduate assistants who remain enrolled and under contract until the completion of the semester or academic term. To avoid liability for tuition for the term in which withdrawal occurs, a student who holds an assistantship must officially withdraw from classes during the first two weeks of the semester or academic term. To avoid liability for tuition for the term in which withdrawal occurs, a CGA awardee must either officially withdraw and formally resign the award during the first two weeks of the semester or remain enrolled for at least half of the semester.

Students may withdraw from classes after consultation with their advisers. During the first two weeks, withdrawal can be made without permission of the instructor, and no entry will appear on the student's record. A student may also withdraw from classes after the end of the second through the tenth weeks without permission of the instructor; then, a grade of W is automatically assigned. Withdrawals from classes during the eleventh through the thirteenth week must be approved by the instructor, and a grade of WP or WF must be assigned. In determining grade point averages, WF will be computed as an F. No classes can be dropped after the thirteenth week, and the instructor must assign a grade other than W, WP, or WF. Students who stop attending a class or classes or who fail to withdraw officially receive a UW rather than a W.

Students enrolled for classes during the summer session should adhere to the following schedule for dropping classes or withdrawing from school.

Weeks 1-2: Student may drop a class without permission of the instructor and have no entry on transcript.

Weeks 3-5: Student may drop a class without permission of the instructor. Grade of W is automatically assigned.

Weeks 6-8: Student may drop a class after consultation with the instructor and advisor, but grade of WP or WF must be assigned by instructor; WF grade will be computed as an Fgrade in grade point average computation.

After Week 8: No class may be dropped; grades other than W, WP, or WF must be assigned by instructor.

These same policies apply to weekend classes. For courses scheduled in nontraditional formats, proportional deadlines apply. Inquiries regarding these deadlines should be directed to the Service Center in Rendleman Hall.

Students attending special weekend format classes, such as the MBA program, will have their names removed from the official class roll if they formally withdraw prior to the first class meeting. Students who attend any part of the first weekend of class but who withdraw prior to the second weekend of class must be assigned a WP or WF, depending on their status at the time they formally withdraw. Students who attend any part of the second weekend of class must be assigned a grade other than WP or WF.

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff socialoff