Grants & Awards
Outstanding Thesis Award
The Outstanding Thesis Award recognizes and rewards a graduate student whose thesis has been identified by the Graduate School as outstanding among all those submitted during the previous academic year.
One award will be given annually. The recipient will receive a cash award of $500. Also, his or her thesis will be forwarded by the University to the Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools "Distinguished Master's Thesis Award" competition.
To be eligible for the award, the nominated student must have earned the Master's degree within the period from October 1, 2012, through September 30, 2013. Each SIUE master's degree program may nominate one thesis each year.
The nomination package submitted by the department must include:
- A nomination letter from the thesis advisor evaluating the thesis according to the following criteria:
- clarity and composition of organization;
- scholarship demonstrated in the thesis;
- suitability of the author's methodology to the field; and
- contribution the thesis makes to the discipline.
- A memo from the department chair commenting on:
- where the work described in the thesis fits into the discipline;
- what the thesis project adds to the field;
- whether the presentation and integration of ideas in the thesis conform to scholarly writing in the discipline.
- The criteria the department uses to evaluate theses internally
IMPORTANT CHANGE: Please note that thesis projects submitted need to be in Portable Document Format (PDF) as a single continuous document. And, as a separate PDF document provide an abstract of the thesis. If you are unable to submit your nomination electronically in PDF format, please contact the Graduate School
Deadline for Submission
Nomination materials must be received by the Graduate School to firstname.lastname@example.org
no later than Friday, October 11, 2013 at 4:30 p.m.
Nominations will be reviewed by the University Fellowship & Scholarship Committee, and the award will be presented at the Graduate School's Fall Graduate Student Honors Day Luncheon.