Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE
Graduate Students
Graduate Students
Graduate Header


The following policies and standards are applicable to graduate students. Professional students in Pharmacy and in Dental Medicine should consult those school's policies and procedures.

It is the responsibility of the graduate student to be familiar with policies that influence progress toward degree completion. In addition to the Graduate Catalog, students should consult the University's policies at


Graduate students may register in an "Audit" status for courses, but those who do so receive neither a letter grade nor credit. Students pay the same fees as though they were registering for credit. If auditing students do not attend regularly, instructors may determine that the students should not have audited courses placed on their academic records. With approval from the program director of the student's degree program, the graduate student who has registered for a course for credit may change to audit status (or vice versa) during the first three weeks of the term; thereafter, the change may not be made. A student may not change from credit status to audit status (or vice versa) for any course that is scheduled for fewer than eight (8) weeks. Students on assistantship, fellowship or scholarship must check with the Graduate School before making such changes since their level of financial support may be affected. Veterans attending under the GI Bill do not receive benefits for audited classes.


Students may repeat courses at SIUE under the following conditions and restrictions:

▪ When a course is repeated, only the grade earned in the final attempt will be used in computing the student's grade point average. All grades will appear on the transcript.

▪ Credits earned for any course will be applied only once toward degree requirements, no matter how often the course is repeated.

▪ Students will not be permitted to repeat for credit a course that is a prerequisite for a course the student has already successfully completed.

▪ Courses may not be repeated more than three times.

The University is not obligated to offer a course simply to provide students an opportunity to repeat a previously attempted course. Additionally, individual academic units and programs may set more stringent conditions and restrictions regarding repeated courses.


Grades are recorded by the letters A, B, C, D, and F (A=4.0, F=0.0). Credit earned in a course in which a D or F grade is recorded CANNOT be used to satisfy the requirements for a graduate degree.

Other grades are:

W, WP, WF, or UW-Withdrawal, Withdrew Passing, Withdrew Failing, or Unauthorized Withdrawal.

I-Incomplete. Unless the instructor has specified a shorter period of time, an incomplete grade that is not completed

within one year (graduation notwithstanding) will automatically be changed to an F. If an instructor specifies a shorter period of time, the instructor must communicate it in writing to the student at the time the Incomplete is granted. Students and their advisers will be notified of outstanding incompletes and of the due date on which each Incomplete would revert to an F. Exceptions to this policy require the approval of the Graduate Dean. Degree candidates cannot graduate with any grades of Incomplete in graduate level courses.

DE-Deferred. Used for graduate courses of a continuing nature such as thesis, dissertation, or research.

BK-Blank. Used as a deferred grade until international Study Abroad graduate transcripts arrive and can be evaluated for a grade and for non-graded courses such as UNIV 500.

S-Satisfactory. Used for thesis, internship, or practicum at the program's discretion.

U-Unsatisfactory. Used for thesis, internship, or practicum at the program's discretion.

AU-Audit. No grade or credit hours earned.

P/NC-This option may be used only by classified graduate students and is restricted to courses outside a student's degree program. P reflects passing work (A through C). NC indicates no credit is awarded.

UW-Unauthorized Withdrawal. Calculated as an F.

NG - No Grad Assigned. No grade or credit hours earned.

WR-Withdrawal per Instructor. Assigned on recommendation of instructor during weeks 3-10. Undergraduates only.

Note: Grades A, B, C, D, F, UW, and WF are included in grade point averages for academic retention. NO CREDIT is allowed toward a graduate degree for courses in which a grade below C is earned.


Graduate students may take 600-, 500- level and certain designated 400- level courses. At least one half of a student's program of study must be completed with 500- level courses. Students may earn graduate credit in 400- level courses only in 400- level courses that are designated as being available for graduate credit (see Chapter 3 for a listing of graduate courses). In those 400- level courses, graduate students must complete additional assignments and be evaluated at a higher standard than undergraduate students taking that same 400- level course.


Full-time graduate study is defined by the University as a minimum of 9 semester hours of graduate level course work in a term and 3 semester hours in a summer session. The maximum course load for graduate students is 15 hours per semester and 10 hours in a 10-week summer session. Persons employed on a full-time basis are advised to limit their enrollment to a maximum of 6 hours per term.

Students who receive financial support for their studies are advised to familiarize themselves with applicable regulations concerning course loads. In some cases, the specified hours for full-time enrollment may differ from those stipulated by Graduate School policy; in such situations, the regulations governing the financial award take precedence. Recipients of the Competitive Graduate Awards (CGA) and Graduate Assistantships (GA) have different requirements. Consult those sections of this chapter for requirements.


The standing of any graduate student whose cumulative grade point average falls below the required minimum (3.0 for master's degree, post-baccalaureate certificate, or unclassified students and 3.25 for specialist degree students) or fails to satisfy the standards for retention for the student's individual graduate programs, the status of the student will be reviewed by the Graduate Dean and the student's program director.

If a graduate student fails to meet the appropriate retention standards stated above after 15 semester hours, the Graduate Dean may drop the student from the Graduate School. The Graduate Dean may approve the retention of any such students upon the recommendation of the graduate program director. If the student is permitted to continue, the conditions for continuance will be put in writing by the student's program director and, upon concurrence of the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research, communicated to the student. A student dropped from the Graduate School is ordinarily not admissible to another degree program

A student who is dropped from a degree program may apply for admission in non-degree status as an unclassified student.

Unclassified graduate students are expected to complete courses and to maintain the minimum grade point average of 3.0. If, after 9 semester hours of graduate level courses, an unclassified graduate student has a grade point average for these courses below 3.0, the student's performance will be reviewed by Graduate Records, and action may be taken to drop the student from the Graduate School.


A student may complete a second graduate major under a single degree title at the master's level by: (1) completing all of the requirements for a degree in the first major; and (2) applying to the Graduate School and the appropriate academic unit and completing no less than two-thirds of the total hours required for a degree in the second major as well as all other requirements for the second major.

If a student pursues a second major concurrently with the first, the graduate adviser in each major must approve the combination of studies. With approval of directors of both graduate programs, a student may jointly satisfy such requirements as one committee, one project or thesis, and/or one final examination.

A person who holds a master's degree from SIUE may complete a second major and have it added to the official transcripts, provided the academic unit offering the second major admits the person for this purpose. Course equivalencies from the former master's program amounting to no more than one-third of the total hours for a degree in the second major may be considered for application toward the second major program.

A student may complete two or more specializations within a major by: (1) completing all the requirements for the major and for each specialization; (2) applying to the Graduate School and the appropriate department for admission into the additional specializations. Students must complete all the requirements for the additional specialization, except they do not have to repeat courses in common among the specializations as long as the student completes two-thirds of the total hours required for the additional specializations except a thesis or final project.


Once admitted and enrolled in classified (degree-seeking) status, a student may request that credit for graduate level courses earned elsewhere or while in unclassified status at SIUE be accepted for application toward the program to which the student has been admitted. To request transfer of credit the student will need to complete the "Graduate Student Request Form." This form is available on the web at or in Graduate Records in the Service Center. To be considered for transfer, the credit must have been earned at an accredited institution or the foreign equivalent and must be credit that is applicable to a graduate degree at that institution.

Recommendations of the student's graduate adviser and program director are required in support of the request. (In the School of Education, the approval of the Associate Dean for Academic Programs is also required.) If a request to transfer credit from another institution is granted, credit hours, but not grades, are added to a student's official SIUE academic record.

Requests to transfer credit for some types of courses are to be accompanied by syllabi or other descriptive materials that help to define their nature or content, as well as by documentation showing satisfactory completion of course requirements.

Credit earned by correspondence or by proficiency is not accepted. Credit earned in the dissertation, thesis, or any other concluding elements at another university is not accepted for transfer.

Course work taken at another institution must be validated through an official transcript sent directly to Graduate Admissions, Campus Box 1047, from the institution at which the course(s) was/were taken. Transcripts submitted must show the course number, title, number of hours credit, letter grade received, enrollment status (undergraduate or graduate), and date of completion in order to receive consideration for transfer of credit. Transfer credit is awarded only for courses bearing grades of B or better. Requests to transfer credit for courses bearing grades such as P (Pass), CR (Credit), or S (Satisfactory) must be supported by certification from the instructor that the student's work was of at least B quality on an A to F scale. Limits on the number of credits that may be presented for transfer vary by degree level and by program. Ordinarily, no more than one-third of the number of hours required to complete the graduate degree program may be transfer credits. Where graduate program faculty have established policies concerning transfer of credit that are more restrictive than those of the Graduate School, decisions on transfer credit will conform to these limitations.

Ordinarily, course work completed for one degree cannot be used to satisfy requirements for another degree. However, if a student is pursuing a degree at the master's level that is recognized by the Graduate School as a terminal master's degree and that requires completion of 60 or more graduate hours, one-third of the credits required for the degree may be transferred from a prior master's program of traditional scope and duration. Courses used for a prior degree that may be considered for transfer must be of a kind that encompass or teach a standard segment of the lore or a standard skill common to the terminal degree program to which the student is admitted, repetition of which would be unnecessary or of no additional benefit to the student. The faculty of the graduate program concerned will determine that the student has mastered and retained the substance of the courses completed under the previous degree. Result of this determination is certified to Graduate Records on the "Graduate Student Request Form." This form is available on the web at: or in Graduate Records in the Service Center. For additional information on transfer of credit, see the general descriptions of requirements for master's and specialist degrees elsewhere in this chapter and the program descriptions in Chapter 2.