What We Do
We strengthen communities.
- With a vast array of data and experts at our disposal, we investigate complex issues faced by government, business and nonprofit organizations.
- Our data-intensive investigations discover the root causes of challenges in our metropolitan areas and provide a guide to solving them.
We improve the economy.
- By providing businesses assistance with applied research management, we help employers grow and thrive, providing opportunities for residents and tax base for communities.
- Consulting with municipalities, we help manage data-intensive government research to ensure the collection and use of tax dollars supports economic development.
We strive to inform.
- Investigating the social issues faced by our metropolitan areas, we help government and nonprofits determine what resources communities need to solve these dilemmas.
- Leveraging the knowledge of SIUE faculty, we host community forums and serve as expert resources to help the community understand the challenges we face and empower citizens to contribute to solutions.
It is the mission of the SIUE Institute for Urban Research to advance the scholarship and understanding of urban governance issues through the facilitation of teaching, research and service on urban issues by SIUE faculty, professional staff and students. The IUR serves as a gateway to University resources for regional leaders. Acting as a "front door" for University research, the IUR intends to serve as a one-stop shop for those seeking fee-for-service arrangements. SIUE is a center for academic creativity which provides valuable resources and problem solving through applied research. In turn, the IUR strives to build strong partnerships to meet community needs.
The vision of SIUE, as a premier Metropolitan University, is to offer programs that aid in the development of professional and community leaders. The IUR supports this vision and works to help the University, faculty researchers and the community live up to this vision.
Four core values drive the research services and program management of the IUR. We value
- The guiding documents of the University and the Graduate School, and takes seriously its responsibility to help implement these documents.
- The human resources of the campus community, and wishes to advance scholarship by effectively and respectfully engaging a diverse group of people in a safe and productive environment.
- Interdisciplinary teamwork and collaboration in all that it does, and encourages cooperative efforts between institutions, jurisdictions and individuals at all levels.
- SIUE's status as a premier Metropolitan University, and sees itself as a vehicle for engaging the University with the St. Louis metropolitan bi-state region.