Graduate Faculty Status
Download Application Form
The Graduate Faculty
The Graduate Faculty shall be tenure track or tenured faculty at SIUE and shall consist of Graduate I and Graduate II members. Status may be accorded upon the recommendation of the graduate faculty of the appropriate department or equivalent academic unit to the Dean of the Graduate School, whose decision will be based upon approved criteria.
- Graduate I Membership.
Graduate I faculty may teach graduate courses, serve on graduate committees, direct masters theses or chair masters committees. Admission to this category shall be based on the following criteria:
- Possession of the appropriate terminal degree
- Demonstrated competence in research, teaching, or other activity appropriate to the faculty member's special field.
- Graduate II Membership.
Graduate II faculty may perform Graduate I functions and shall be authorized to direct doctoral dissertations and to chair doctoral committees. Admission to this category shall be based on the following criteria:
- Experience in Graduate I functions
- Teaching of graduate courses at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville or other institutions;
- Scholarly accomplishment as evidenced by one or more of these:
- Awarding and completion of a peer-reviewed externally-funded project;
- Publication of a book or books recognized by colleagues as evidence of scholarly work;
- Publication of articles in recognized scholarly journals;
- Contributions other than books or articles - in fields such as music, theater, dance, or art which traditionally accept juried performances, exhibitions, and the like as evidence of academic achievement.
The Dean of the Graduate School shall administer departmental requests for exceptions to this policy.
The Dean of the Graduate School may revoke graduate faculty status for cause, such as for academic misconduct, or at the recommendation of the appropriate department or equivalent academic unit.