Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE
Financial Aid
Financial Aid
Institutional Header

Welcome to Student Financial Aid

Check CougarNet to see if we have requested verification documentation and to view, accept or decline your aid for Fall and Spring.   

 Alert: Complete the FAFSA Earlier!

Submit a FAFSA Earlier: Students will be able to file a 2017-18 FAFSA as early as Oct. 1, 2016, rather than beginning on Jan. 1, 2017. The earlier submission date will be a permanent change, enabling students to complete and submit a FAFSA as early as October 1 every year. 

Use Earlier Income Information: Beginning with the 2017-2018 FAFSA, students will report income information from an earlier tax year. For example, on the 2017-18 FAFSA, students (and parents, as appropriate) will report their 2015 income information, rather than their 2016 income information.

Financial information is needed to complete the FAFSA, but keep in mind that you may complete a FAFSA before filing a tax return. To complete your FAFSA, you will need the following documents and information:

  • Your tax return and all W-2s from the previous year.
  • Your parents’ tax return and all W-2s from the previous year (if you are a dependent student).
    • If you or your parents have filed taxes online, you may use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer data directly from your taxes to the FAFSA, speeding up the application process.
    • You will be asked in the FAFSA if you completed your taxes online and then will be prompted to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. You may also view a video tutorial about this Tool here.  IRS Data Retrieval Tool
    • Your social security number.
    • Your driver’s license (if you have one).
    • Your Federal Student Aid PIN and your parent’s PIN (if applicable).
      • This PIN is required to electronically sign your FAFSA. A PIN must be applied for, and this same PIN will be used to sign your FAFSA every time you complete it. If you forget your PIN, you will have to request a duplicate PIN. Be sure to have your PIN written down in a safe place and memorized when you receive it. Visit the PIN website to apply for a PIN or request a duplicate.

When you have the information ready, visit the FAFSA homepage to apply for Federal Student Aid.

You can also view this video, 7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA, for step-by-step guidance to completing the FAFSA.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Regulations have changed!

Are you in danger of losing your financial aid eligibility

  • Is your cumulative GPA below 2.0?
  • Have you dropped too many classes?
  • Have you taken too many hours?

If you answered "YES" to any one of these questions, your financial aid could be terminated.

What can I do if my financial aid is terminated?

File an appeal.  If extenuating circumstances (illness, death in family, etc.) contributed to your lack of satisfactory academic progress, you may request an appeal.  Appeal forms can be found on the forms page.

For more information about the new policy, visit the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Do you have an award letter? What financial aid am I being offered? How do I accept my aid? How do I view my award letter?

Do I owe the university any money? Has my financial aid been applied to my bill? How do I check my bill?

Do I have any messages regarding my verification or financial aid?

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff tumblroff socialoff