Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE
Facilities Management
Facilities Management
Institutional Header

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Air Conditioning/ Heating Emergency Numbers Newsletter
Banner Hanging Facilities Management Pest Control
Billing Facilities Management Service Forms Plants
Building Coordinator Program Fire Extinguishers Plumbing
Building Hours Fires/Alarms Signage
Carpeting Ground Maintenance Snow Removal
Custodial Concerns Keys & Locks Surplus Property
Customer Service Light Bulbs Transportation
Elevators Moving Guide Trash Removal

Air Conditioning and Heating

Q. Who should be called about temperature problems during daytime hours from 8 to 4:30?

A. Call extension 3711 at the Supporting Service Building. An operating engineer will be dispatched for service.

Q. Who should be called concerning temperature problems after hours, including weekends?

A. Call the University Police at extension 3324; they will radio the building engineer.

[Back to Top]

Banner Hanging

Q. Who hangs the special event banners on the light poles around campus?

A. Hanging banners is a carpenter function. Department needing banners hung for a special event should complete a service requisition and return it to Facilities Management as quickly as possible; ideally, at least two weeks before the event to allow time for scheduling. Any questions should be directed to Customer Service, x3711.

[Back to Top]


Q. What phone number should be called for billing questions?

A. Billing questions should be directed to Department Business Manager, x3161.

Q. Why does it seem to cost so much to have work done?

A. The same excellence SIUE asks of its students is asked of its staff. Maintaining an environment conducive to learning and study requires that whatever work is requested, from screwing in a bolt to fixing restrooms to major renovations, be completed by the best professionals in their field. SIUE has contracted with the unions of Carpenters, Electricians, Painters, Pipefitters, Laborers, and Grounds Workers to supply the labor force which completes the fine work seen on campus. The wages paid by SIUE are on par with the prevailing wage in the state of Illinois.

Q. What is involved in preparation for a major function on campus, for example, Commencement?

A. Completing a major set up requires many hours of work, several building service workers, and sometimes, the assistance of skilled craft workers and laborers. It begins when work orders are sent to each craft with a detailed description of what work is needed. The crafts work with department representatives and each other to have electricity available, to be sure restroom facilities are clean and working; to set up all areas, stages, chairs, etc., and to be sure the timetable is met. Crafts are available for any help needed when the setup is complete; crafts and building service workers are responsible for dismantling the set up. In the case of one Commencement, set up was completed on Friday evening, then torn down for a basketball game; then reconstructed on Sunday for a concert. The Commencement alone required more than 250 man hours.

[Back to Top]

Building Hours

Q. Where are building hours found?

A. Go to, click on "Building Hours".

Q. How would a department have building hours changed?

A. The department would submit a request to the department head; usually changes are requested due to changes in academic schedules. Final approval would come from the VCA.

[Back to Top]


Q. Who should be called about carpeting?

A. For measurements and a look at carpet sample books, contact Facilities Management at extension 3711.

[Back to Top]

Custodial Concerns

Q. What number is called to report spills?

A. Call Custodial Service at ext. 2067 in Edwardsville; 474-7252 in Alton.

[Back to Top]

Customer Service

Q. Where does someone call for customer service for Facilities Management?

A. Customer Service for Facilities Management can be reached at extension 3711.

[Back to Top]


Q. Who maintains the elevators on campus? What should someone do if they get stuck on an elevator?

A. Elevators on all three of SIUE's campuses are maintained by building engineers and an outside firm. All of the elevators are equipped with emergency phones and emergency alarms. When the phone is activated, it automatically dials '911'; the alarm continues to sound until silenced by a building engineer. Building occupants who hear an alarm during regular building hours or know of a problem with an elevator are asked to notify Facilities Management at 3711; evenings and weekends, 911 should be called.

No matter how it looks in old movies and cartoons, elevators are not connected to the shaft with only one cable. Even in elevators developed by Elijah Otis in 1853, cars were supported by multiple steel cables. Today's machines are also monitored by microprocessors to ensure that the ride is safe. However, elevators are machinery and subject to breakdowns. Bruce Willis may make it look easy in the movies, but the following are the best ways to handle the situation when the elevator stops:

Stay calm. It is safe in the elevator.

Push the alarm button (or use the phone) and wait for help.

If the elevator is between floors, DO NOT try to open the


Do not try to climb out the car hatch.

Following are a few safety tips for those who use the elevators often:

Watch your step when entering an elevator.

Watch out for the elevator's closing doors.

Do not use hands to stop the doors from shutting.

In case of fire, use the stairs.

Keep clothes away from door openings.

[Back to Top]

Emergency Numbers

Q. What number should be called in case of emergency building issues?

A. When an emergency building issue arises during the hours of 8:00am-4:30pm, Monday through Friday, Facilities Management should be called at 3711. Emergencies after hours are dealt with by University Police at extension 3324.

[Back to Top]

Facilities Management

Q. Where is Facilities Management located?

A. Facilities Management is located on the south end of Campus, off South University Drive, in the Supporting Services Building. Map is available at

[Back to Top]

Facilities Management Service Forms

Q. What is a maintenance work order?

A. Maintenance work orders are requests to Facilities Management for work needed within a state-supported building: i.e., repair of toilets, replacement of light bulbs, etc., and can be submitted online.

Q. What is the difference between a maintenance work order and a service requisition?

A. Work that is not basic maintenance of a state-supported building, but is the choice of the department, and will be paid for by the department: i.e., hanging of bulletin boards, moving of furniture, etc., should be submitted on a Service Requisition. Forms should be printed, completed with Fiscal Officers signature, faxed to 2595.

Q. When is the proper time to send a Service Requisition to Facilities Management?

A. Any time work being requested is not routine work, a Service Requisition should be sent to Facilities Management. The Service Requisition should include a detailed description of the work to be done as well as an account number the work should be charged to and a Fiscal Officer's signature. A Service Requisition should be received at Facilities a minimum of two weeks before the work is needed. For information on what constitutes routine work, visit:

Q. Is there a way to track Service Requisitions?

A. Service Requisition work performed by Facilities Management is assigned a control or reference number. It is essential that the sender of the Service Requisition include a departmental contact and the e-mail address of the contact. Since the University no longer uses multi-part forms, the control number is sent to the department via e-mail. Any questions the department may have will be much easier to answer if the department has the control number when they call. The Fiscal Officer also receives the monthly departmental billing report, which identifies the control number, work description, and month/year-to-date cost.

Q. When does one submit the GIR/MOD form?

A. GIR/MOD (General Improvement Request/Modification Order) forms are used to request an estimate and when work is over $25,000: i.e., a major renovation, or when an estimate is needed.

[Back to Top]

Fire Extinguishers

Q. What should one do with a spent fire extinguisher?

A. Once a fire extinguisher is used, call Facilities Management at extension 3711 or the H&R Plant at extension 3477 so the fire extinguisher can be refilled.

[Back to Top]


Q. What if a person hears the alarm but is not sure there is a fire?

A. NO ONE, AT ANY TIME, should second-guess a fire alarm. Do not use the elevator; find the exit door and the stairs and evacuate the building. After a person is safe, they can ascertain the validity of the alarm.

[Back to Top]

Grounds Maintenance

Q. What does the University do with all of the leaves on campus?

A. In most areas, the leaves are mowed with lawnmowers with special mulching decks that chop the leaves up very fine and return them to the soil. This process is much friendlier to the environment and saves substantial manpower.

[Back to Top]

Keys & Locks

Q. How does a department transfer a key from an employee who is retiring or leaving to a new employee?

A. First, if the new employee has not yet been hired but will be soon, the key can be put in escrow for as long as one semester. An escrow memo should be written indicating the key code and issuance number for Key Control and the key can simply be transferred when the new person is hired. To transfer a key the employee should sign the form on the line "Signature of Person Receiving Transferred Key" No other form is necessary.

Q. What does the department do with the key inventory of a person who no longer works for the University?

A. If the keys were returned to the department upon termination of employment, the department should note who has possession of the keys by attaching a key request for transfer with appropriate signatures. If the keys were not returned and the department was not able to retrieve them, this should be indicated on the form and a letter sent to Key Control to declare them lost. More information can be found on the FM website

Q. How long does it take Key Control to make a key for an office?

A. After a key request form is received, turn around-time is about two days.

Q. Can a person pick up keys on campus?

A.Beginning Monday, February 4, 2002, all keys for the Edwardsville campus were available for pick up ON CAMPUS. Building occupants who are notified that a key is ready can pick it up at the west side of the Bursar's office on the first floor of Rendleman Hall. There will be no change in key policies or the requesting and approval process for keys.

However, ONLY those notified will have a key ready at the Bursar's office, and ONLY keys for the Edwardsville campus will be available at the Bursar's office. Keys for Alton and East St. Louis campuses will still be picked up at the Key Control office of Facilities Management in the Supporting Services Building.

Q. What phone number is used when someone is locked out or needs access to a room or building?

A. After hours, University Police should be called at extension 3324. When 3711 is contacted, the following procedure applies for building engineers or building service workers to provide lock-out access.

Access is given only to offices. No access is provided to storerooms, workrooms, labs, or special classrooms.

Identification demonstrating that the person is a faculty or staff member is required. This will be waived only in the case of a woman not carrying a purse who states the ID and keys are in her purse in the office.

Access will be given only if the Facilities Management employee is comfortable with the situation. If the situation does not seem right to the employee or the employee feels that they would be at risk, they may refuse to unlock the door. Their judgment will not be second-guessed.

Once these conditions are met, the FM employee may unlock the door and remain in the hallway. The faculty/staff member will be asked to enter the office and retrieve their key. The door will then be relocked and the faculty/staff member will enter using his or her own key. This is the practice being utilized by the University Police to ensure the person has authorized access to that office.

If, upon entering the office, the person is unable to produce a key to the office or refuses to exit the office and reenter as directed, the FM employee will immediately call Campus Police.

This procedure was established to address a campus need while maintaining security for property and staff. When possible, building occupants are to first contact their supervisor for access.

[Back to Top]

Light Bulbs

Q. What is the procedure to let FM know if there are lights out or other minor maintenance problems on campus?

A. There are several ways:

1. Phone ext. 3711, Work Order Control.

2. Use the online Work Order Form at ( under FM Service Forms.

3. Call or e-mail the Building Coordinator for the building. A list of Coordinators is located on the homepage at ( under Customer Service/ Building Coordinator Roster.

Q. What telephone number is used when the parking or building lights are out in the evening?

A. Phone the University Police at ext. 3324.

Q. What telephone number is used call to report lights out in stairwells?

A. Call ext. 3711 or email Work Order Control at

[Back to Top]

Moving Guide


1. Prepare a service requisition for Facilities Management detailing the move. Include

what needs moved, and what will need taken apart to move. Be sure to include the

account number to be charged.

2. Prepare a separate service requisition for Telecomm for phone and computer lines.

3. Clean out file drawers, desk drawers, bookshelves, etc. for the move.

4. Give some thought to where things will go in the new area to make the move more




1. A department with surplus property to be picked up must complete the

AIS form under "Fixed Assets" to begin the process.

2. The next step would be to copy the form and send the original to

Property Control at Campus Box 1002 or fax the original to 3301. Questions

should be directed to Mike Skelton at extension 3279 or Ron Klaustermeier

at extension 3378.

3. Surplus Property will dispatch a pick up.

4. Departments should keep a copy of the paperwork for their records,

and tape a copy in an obvious place for when Grounds comes to pick up the


5. AGAIN, there is no charge to the department for Surplus pick up, but

the paperwork must be completed and forwarded to Property Control before

pickup can be scheduled.

PLEASE NOTE: For safety reasons, Grounds will continue their pickup of

stairwell debris; departments are reminded that storage, even temporary

storage, of items in stairwells is prohibited. Items incorrectly stored in

stairwells will be picked up as surplus. Departments are admonished, as

always, not to move items to stairwells or hallways but to wait for Grounds

to pick up the items. Departments should NEVER move furniture and NEVER

store items in stairwells or hallways.

[Back to Top]

Pest Control

Q. Who should be called when insects are a problem?

A. Pest Control on all three SIU campuses is contracted. When a problem occurs, Steve Brandenburg should be contacted at extension 2069. Steve will make arrangements for the problem to be corrected.

[ Back to Top]


Q. Are people allowed to have plants in their offices? Do the plants have to belong to Facilities Management? Who would maintain the plants?

A. Groundsworkers maintain interior plants in public areas only. Public areas include entrances, lobbies, corridors, hallways, etc.

[Back to Top]


Q. Who should be notified about ceiling leaks, broken water fountains, etc?

A. Call Work Order Control at ext. 3711 or e-mail

Q. Who should be notified about broken stools in restrooms?

A. Call ext. 3711 or email Work Order Control at

[Back to Top]


Q. How can someone be certain a warning sign is valid?

A. Informational signage on campus posted by Facilities Management will be embossed with the Facilities Management logo. Any posted signage without the logo is not official signage from Facilities Management.

[Back to Top]

Snow Removal

Q. Who decides if the University will be closed due to inclement weather?

A. The decision to close the University is made by Vice Chancellor for Administration, Kenn Neher. During extreme conditions, several factors are considered: a) regional road conditions as reported by the Illinois State Police and University Police; b) general weather and forecasts as reported by the National Weather Service, University Police and Facilities Management; and c) the condition of campus roads and parking lots as reported by the University Police and Facilities Management.

When the University remains open, certain areas of campus are cleared first. These areas are part of the "Snow Route", and signs on campus doors identify which they are. For a list of these doors, go to

[Back to Top]

Surplus Property

Q. Where should someone send paperwork for surplus property?

A. To have surplus property moved, the proper paperwork should be sent to Mike Skelton, Box 1002. THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR SURPLUS PROPERTY PICKUP, NOR DOES IT HAVE TO BE DONE AT A CERTAIN TIME OF YEAR.

[Back to Top]


Q. What hours are established for picking up keys for a University vehicle from Transportation Service?

A. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday- Friday. For key returns after hours, a drop box is provided at the entrance to Transportation Services. To reserve a vehicle or find out more about Transportation Services, call ext. 3100, or go to Transportation.

Q. What is needed to drive a University Vehicle?

A. Any University employee who needs to drive a vehicle for the university must fill out a driver approval form. The form is located on Transportation Service's website at

Q. What additional requirements are necessary to drive a 14-passenger bus?

A. The "Coaching the Van Driver II" Program is required for any University employee interested in driving a bus. Drivers with a "C" or "CDL' license are exempt from the training. To find out more about the bus driver program, call extension 3100. To find out more about either license, contact the local drivers license station whose number can be found in the State Government section under Secretary of State in the phone book.

Q. Why 14-passenger buses, not 15-passenger vans?

A. University policy has restricted the use of 15-passenger vans in response to a NHTSA safety warning. The buses were selected to meet safety concerns. They meet high standards for body seat integrity and are equipped with four-wheel anti-lock disk brakes. A "CDL" is not required to operate one of the buses. In addition, the buses were selected for rider comfort with front and rear air conditioners, adequate leg room, reclining seats, and reading lights.

Q. What type of buses are available?

A. One of the buses is equipped to handle 12 passengers plus 2 more in wheelchairs, or 14 without wheelchairs. It has a lift and a chair restraint system. The other four carry 14 passengers with a separate secure area for luggage or gear. Including the driver, all of the buses actually carry 15 people, but bus nomenclature gives the capacity without the driver. The bus controls are very similar to a car, but the driver must become familiar with the larger vehicle.

Q. How much more expensive are the buses?

A. Thanks to help from the Chancellor's Office, rental rates will be close to those of 15-passenger vans. For current rates, call Transportation Service at extension 3100.

Q. Does University Transportation Services provide drivers for the buses?

A. No.

[Back to Top]

Trash Removal

Q. How would someone get bulky trash removed?

A. Mark the box as "TRASH" and place it next to a trash can. Building Service Workers will then dispose of it properly. Inventoried items or recyclable material cannot be removed in this manner.

Note: When disposing of broken glass, put the glass in a box marked "BROKEN GLASS" to avoid injury to Building Service Workers.

Q. Who should be called for a larger recyclable container in an area?

A. Overall program management of Recycling is provided by Facilities Management Building Services. For schedules, or to make special arrangements, ask the Building Service Worker in the building or call extension 2067.

[Back to Top]

Published by: Facilities Management
Last Update: 15 Februaryl, 2011
Send Comments to:

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff socialoff