The Building Services Department is responsible for custodial services for all academic and administrative departments on campus with the exception of The Morris University Center, University Housing, Birger Hall, and University Park.
Building Services provides custodial coverage Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. There is limited coverage on Saturdays for special events with no coverage on Sundays
Types of custodial duties that Building Services are responsible for are described below.
Routine cleaning is cleaning that is done on a regular schedule. It includes; trash removal, cleaning restrooms, dust mopping or vacuuming floors, cleaning chalkboards in classrooms, spot mopping or complete wet mopping of hard surface floors, and various other cleaning tasks.
Classrooms are cleaned to conform to the following cleaning standards:
• All trash is removed from the classroom daily.
• The entire floor is cleaned as follows: dust mopped if tiled; vacuumed if carpeted. All floor spills are cleaned by wet mopping if tiled, or spot cleaning if carpeted.
• Chalkboards and chalk trays are cleaned daily. Erasers are cleaned or replaced as needed.
• Desktops are cleaned as needed.
• The instructor's desk is cleaned as needed.
• Carpeted floors are shampooed when possible.
All entranceways will be a priority, but may not necessarily be cleaned on a daily basis. Glass doors are cleaned every weekly.
Hallways on the first floors of academic buildings will be a priority, but may not necessarily be cleaned daily. Other hallways will be cleaned at least twice per week. Hallway floor maintenance is required as follows:
• Entrance rugs are vacuumed.
• Hard surface floors are dust-mopped & spot mopped. Floors are wet-mopped two times a week.
Drinking fountains are cleaned on a daily basis.
Lounges and vending areas will be cleaned at least twice per week.
The following cleaning standards apply to restrooms:
• All toilet, urinal, and sink surfaces are sanitized daily.
• Mirrors are cleaned daily.
• Soap dispensers are filled and cleaned daily.
• Floors are swept and disinfected daily.
• Flat surfaces are dusted daily.
• Walls are washed as needed.
• Paper products are stocked each day.
• Restrooms are policed & serviced throughout the day.
Elevators are cleaned three times a week.
Stairs and Landings
Stairs and landings are dust mopped or vacuumed twice weekly. Spills are cleaned up as needed.
The following duties are performed every other week:
• Trash receptacles are emptied.
• If the floor is tiled, it is dust mopped and damp mopped if needed.
• If the office is carpeted, it is vacuumed. If there are spills on the carpet they are spot cleaned as soon as possible after they occur.
• Carpets are shampooed when possible.
• Chairs are pushed under their respective desks.
• Upholstered furniture is cleaned when requested and time allows.
Project cleaning is done on a quarterly, semi-annual, or annual basis. This type of cleaning includes scrubbing or stripping hard-surface floors, shampooing carpets and upholstery, and other special project work.