view Director's Notes Archives
I hope this message finds each and every one of you doing well.
Research & Technical Activities:
- We conducted growth curves on the evolved yeast strains and compared them to non-evolved and non-genetically modified yeast. We conducted our study in parallel with those of our USDA collaborators Drs. Bruce Dien and Ron Hector and obtained similar results.
- We conducted two complete corn “double fermentations” with the aim of testing the ability of the cellulosic enzyme kit to break down and the xylose-metabolizing yeast to ferment the beer bottoms, after conventional corn fermentation. Some of our current research will be presented at the BBI Biomass conference in Denver in April.
- We continued the testing and analysis of DDGS. We expect to have additional full data set beginning June.
- Center Staff: Dr. Sabrina Trupia (Director of Biological Research) sent a letter of commitment to form an Illinois Energy Learning Exchange, a statewide initiative that will incorporate in the STEM curriculum learning on renewable energy.
- Center Staff: Hosted annual meeting of the Illinois Ethanol Research Advisory Board.
- Center Staff: John Caupert (Director) was guest speaker at Illinois College Student – Ag. Council meeting held at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
- Center Staff: John Caupert (Director) attended leadership conference of Growth Energy.
- Center Staff: Hosted staff visits of U.S. Congressman Tim Johnson (R-IL).
Until next time, have a good, safe and productive month!
John Caupert, Director
The NCERC: Advancing Biofuels Research
Phone: 618-659-6737 Ext 226