Director's Notes Archives
I hope this message finds each and every one of you doing well.
Research & Technical Activities:
- Corn Kernel Fiber: Continued series of fermentation experiments with regular yeast to achieve a baseline against xylose-fermenting yeasts. Given the good results, we are continuing efforts in the direction of seeking continuing funds to expand the project.
- Improving Fiber: A project titled, "Improving fiber digestibility in DDGS from ethanol production" was approved for funding. This is collaboration between Dr. Sabrina Trupia (NCERC) and Dr. Hans Stein (U of I) aimed at finding a treatment for DDGS that will make the fiber component more digestible for swine.
- Feeding DDGS to Layers: A study on the "Quality of Eggs Impacted by Feeding DDGS to Layers" has been funded. This is collaboration between the NCERC, University of Georgia and the USDA. A feeding trial of layers will be conducted using regular DDGS and low fat DDGS from backend deoiling production. The nutritional quality of eggs will be examined and correlated with the quality of the DDGS feed. The nutrients in eggs, DDGS and corn will be tested to include amino acids, phospholipids, carotenoids, vitamin E, antioxidant capacity, malondialdehyde in egg yolk and phytate.
- Fat Quality: A subcontract on to study fat quality of DDGS. The study was finished for Phase I (2010 - 2011). Phase II (2011 - 2012) which involves lab simulation on DDGS storage and its potential impact on fat quality of DDGS, will start November, 2011.
- Lysine: A project to evaluate lysine in DDGS produced by the ethanol industry, characterizing the furosine, lysine and crude protein levels in the DDGS samples.
- NCERC Staff: Attended annual meeting of the Renewable Fuels Association, October 4-6 in Washington, DC.
- NCERC Staff: Hosted three biology classes for lectures and tours. One class was an introductory Biology for non-science majors. The other two were part of an interdisciplinary class entitled "The Ethics of Biotechnology".
- NCERC Staff: One of our PSM (Professional Scientific Master's) students, asked Dr. Sabrina Trupia (NCERC) to be part of her thesis committee for her defense in December. This is the second student whose work Dr. Sabrina Trupia is supervising (Joanna Zhao would be the first one).
- NCERC Staff: SIUE Outstanding Research Video Shooting - Dr. Yan Zhang's (NCERC) research team was selected as one of the six outstanding research groups at SIUE. The highlights of Dr. Zhang's research projects were documented in a video to promote the excellence of research at SIUE.
Until next time, have a good, productive and safe month.
John Caupert, Director National Corn-to-Ethanol Research Center
Phone: 618-659-6737 Ext 226