Director's Notes - Archives
I hope this message finds each and every one of you doing well.
Research & Technical Activities:
- An RSA developed to provide weekly testing of DDGS using a Hunter Lab Colorflex Colorimeter.
- Testing of free fatty acid in corn oil of DDGS and corn flour has been finished. We started to develop and validate the method on fatty acid profiling of corn oil in DDGS using GC-FID.
- An RSA was agreed on the solicitation of low fat DDGS samples for poultry study.
- A CSA (Consulting Service Agreement) was developed to provide consulting services to commercial ethanol plants.
- A project testing alternate materials to use in corn fermentation to improve ethanol yield.
- An advanced biofuels project involving utilization of new energy crops.
- Two projects testing a process technology. This is an ongoing project to continue in the near future and for which we are also training the client’s personnel.
- Proposal to the National Pork Board in collaboration with Dr. Hans Stein of University of Illinois. The proposal’s objective is to find a pretreatment method to improve the digestibility and the energy value of fiber in DDGS.
- A proposal was submitted to ICMB titled “Quality of Eggs Impacted by Feeding DDGS to Layers” by Drs. Yan Zhang, Amy Batal (University of Georgia), Jill Moser and Oliver Chen (USDA).
Outreach and Community Activities:
- Research Exchange Visit to the SIUC – College of Agricultural Sciences and the SIUC Fisheries and Illinois Aquaculture Center.
- 15th Annual Distillers Grains Symposium – Dr. Yan Zhang presented a talk on the “Fate of Lysine During the Bioprocess of Making DDGS”.
- 2011 International Biomass Conference and Expo - Dr. Yan Zhang and Dr. Sabrina Trupia attended.
Until next time, have a good, productive and safe month.
John Caupert, Director
National Corn-to-Ethanol Research Center
Phone: 618-659-6737 Ext 226