I hope this message finds each and every one of you doing well.
Research & Technical Activities:
- A project to conduct combustibility of co-products from corn to ethanol production was funded. The co-products include DDGS, corn gluten meal (CGM) and corn gluten feed (CGF).
- Dr. Yan Zhang conducted an investigation on how using different grinding mills for sample preparation of DDGS analysis can impact on the proximates in DDGS, especially on the crude fat content in DDGS. The investigation report was provided to ICMB.
- A funded project to study the tryptophan digestibility in DDGS fed to pigs was finished and a final report was sent on 3/16/2011.
- Two research proposals have been sent to IDCEO on 3/31/2011 by Dr. Yan Zhang:
- Water Reduction for Biofuel Plants - Use Treated Municipal Wastewater for Cooling Tower and Process Purposes
- Study the Energy Value of Low Fat DDGS and Spinned Corn Oil
- 30 L Bioreactor (Client trial) - Dr. Yan Zhang and her assistant started to review the SOP for the bioreactor and learn how to operate the bioreactor.
Outreach and Community Activities:
- Week of March 1: NCERC attended and exhibited at Commodity Class 2011 in Tampa, FL.
- Week of March 7: NCERC was called upon to review select abstracts for the 2011 International Fuel Ethanol Workshop.
- Week of March 14: NCERC participated in Research and Development Day at the state capital in Springfield, IL. NCERC hosted an annual product showcase and training session conducted by Siemens Corporation.
- Week of March 21: NCERC hosted its annual meeting of the NCERC Advisory Board. The meeting was the most attended in the eight year history, with only one member of the Board not represented.
Until next time, have a good, productive and safe month.
John Caupert, Director National Corn-to-Ethanol Research Center
Phone: 618-659-6737 Ext 226