Director's Notes -
I hope this message finds each and every one of you doing well.
Research & Technical Activities:
- A 9-day pilot-plant study was conducted by NCERC and USDA-ARS scientist to perform corn to ethanol baseline run and specific run to study back end de-oiling characteristics.
- A DOE funded project, finished for Phase I (2010 - 2011), and as a result, two manuscripts will be prepared, one for a technical journal led by Dr. Yan Zhang, and another one for an animal management journal led by Dr. Amy Batal. Phase II (2011 - 2012) starts August, 2011.
- A funded project to compare various hydrolysis procedures for amino acid testing in animal feed. The study is finished, and Dr. Yan Zhang is invited to write a manuscript on this study for the Journal of AOCS.
- A funded project to study the antioxidants and lipids in DDGS. The study is finished and the summary of the study was prepared for the NCGA Ethanol Committee Meeting.
- The month saw completion and reporting for three returning fermentation laboratory client. For one fermentation laboratory client, we also conducted training of their lab personnel. h: 1
- We finalized a material transfer agreement with USDA-ARS for yeast we are going to be using for a corn-kernel fiber project.
- We are also collaborating with Kaiser Optical to analyze data from cellulosic fermentation intermediates with Raman spectroscopy.
- Pilot Plant Corn Fractionation: Final electrical and instrumentation installation being completed. Commissioning is scheduled for late September.
- Pilot Plant Fermentation Upgrade: Investigating funding options for the new fermentation seed train.
- Laboratory Fume Hood Upgrade: Installation bids are being received to install two new laboratory fume hoods for accommodating Advanced Biofuels work.
Outreach and Community Activities:
- 2011 AAFCO Annual Meeting - Dr. Yan Zhang prepared a poster and an oral presentation on "AOCS/SQT Amino Acid Round Robin Study".
- 2011 Midyear NCGA Ethanol Committee Meeting - Dr. Yan Zhang prepared an oral presentation on "The Lipids and Antioxidants in DDGS".
- 2011 U.S. DOE Biomass Meetings - Attended by John Caupert (Director) and Dr. Sabrina Trupia (Asst. Director, Biological Research).
Until next time, have a good, productive and safe month.
John Caupert, Director
National Corn-to-Ethanol Research Center
Phone: 618-659-6737 Ext 226