I hope this message finds each and every one of you doing well.
Research & Technical Activities:
- A funded project to compare various hydrolysis procedures for amino acid testing in animal feed. Hydrolysate samples have been collected from the lab participants and analysis is on the way. Yan Zhang presented the study at the Laboratory Methods Committee Meeting of AAFCO Midyear meeting.
- A funded project to study the antioxidants and lipids in DDGS. Samples from the project have been sent to the Antioxidants Research Lab, USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, and Tufts University for antioxidant capacity study. The data were reported, a scientific presentation is in preparation.
- January saw the first successful attempt to conduct a “one-pot” corn to ethanol fermentation in our new 30 L fermentor. The lab team, with able help from pilot plant research engineers, completed a fermentation and performed a distillation in this intermediate scale vessel, thus demonstrating that NCERC is capable of conducting this type of project.
Pilot Plant and Facility Updates:
- Fractionation: Demolition contractors started work January 4, 2011 through March 16, 2011. Contractors are on schedule. Facilities and process installation contractor work should start late 1Q 2011 or early 2Q 2011.
- Laboratory Fume Hoods: Detailed design to be completed by February 28, 2011. Quotes from government and other possible sources.
Until next time, have a good, productive and safe month.
John Caupert, Director National Corn-to-Ethanol Research Center
Phone: 618-659-6737 Ext 226