Director's Notes Archives
I hope this message finds each and every one of you doing well.
Research & Technical Activities:
- A study on the "Quality of Eggs Impacted by Feeding DDGS to Layers" has been funded. This is collaboration between the NCERC, University of Georgia and the USDA. We will conduct a feeding trial (20 weeks long) with layers using regular DDGS and low fat DDGS from backend deoiling production. The animal trial started on February 9, 2012 and data related to egg production, egg specific gravity and yolk color, egg weight, layer's body weight, feed intake and efficiency have been collected according to the proposal.
- A subcontract from the University of Georgia on fat quality of DDGS. The study was finished for the Phase I (2010 - 2011), and the lab simulation experiment is on the way for a 50 day incubation period. Some fat quality index data have been collected for 12 DDGS and corn oil samples and those data will be compared with fat rancidity evaluation of the same samples at the end of the incubation period.
- A study on corn kernel fiber continued at a good pace with the evolved yeast strain we are studying for fermentation of xylose. We are planning a 30 L scale up in March with some fractionated corn kernel fiber pretreated in February by our collaborators at NCAUR. The flask fermentation runs are about to be concluded.
- A DDGS fiber digestibility study saw the start the project. We are currently in the process of analyzing the baseline (untreated DDGS) before starting with treated samples.
- NCERC Staff: Dr. Yan Zhang (Director of Analytical Research) gave a presentation to the Association of State Energy Research and Technology Transfer Institutions (ASERTTI).The presentation titled, "A Cost-Effective Replacement for Ruminant Diet - Lime-treated Corn Stover with DDGS" was conducted before a collaborative audience of industry representatives.
- NCERC Staff: Dr. Sabrina Trupia (Director of Biological Research) hosted 150 students from Environmental Science's program at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
- NCERC Staff: Dr. Sabrina Trupia (Director of Biological Research) was interviewed for a featured article on biofuels laboratories.
- NCERC Staff: Dr. Sabrina Trupia (Director of Biological Research) re-launched the Illinois Ethanol Coalition to set research goals to continue to advance corn fiber research.
- NCERC Staff: Hosted a meeting of the Agriculture Advisory Committee of U.S. Congressman John Shimkus. Congress Shimkus has provided unwavering support of the NCERC and the ethanol industry throughout his service in the United States Congress.
- NCERC Staff: John Caupert (Director) and Frank Romano (Director of Operations) attended the Renewable Fuels Association - National Ethanol Conference in Orlando, FL.
Until next time, have a good, safe and productive month!
John Caupert, Director National Corn-to-Ethanol Research Center
Phone: 618-659-6737 Ext 226