I hope this message finds each and every one of you doing well.
Research & Technical Activities
- DDGS sample solicitation for 15 plants is underway as part of an academically funded project. We started to develop analytical method for quantifying free fatty acids in DDGS using LC/MS/MS. From this project we have began discussions related to lysine digestibility of DDGS in a poultry trial.
- A project funded to study the occurrence of mycotoxins in DDGS. For Phase I, we finished testing DDGS collected in through the first half of 2010. We are in the middle of collecting corn and DDGS samples from ethanol plants for Phase II study, which will attempt to draw correlation.
- A project funded to study the fate of lysine and phytate during DDGS production. One manuscript on furosine and lysine in DDGS is in final review stage before submission, and another manuscript focusing on phosphorus speciation change during corn to ethanol production is in preparation.
- A project funded to
compare various hydrolysis procedures for amino acid testing in animal feed. We have helped AOCS to prepare interaction with participants by drafting documents and purchase lab supplies.
- A USDA / ARS collaborative project to evaluate pre-treatment of corn kernel fiber. We have compositional data done on all samples; USDA / ARS has started pretreatment.
- Research Services Agreement for third-party validation of an automated cell-counter. Completed the bench-scale portion of the project; now collecting production data on plant trials
For a private sector client, have finished laboratory scale work on a biosurfactant.
Pilot Plant and Facility Updates:
- Submitted Early Site Preparation package to SIUE Administration for independent third party review required by SIU at 0800 13SEP10.
- Detailed design for Facilities and Process Installation package is underway and should be completed during the beginning of November 2010.
- Fermenter Pumps
- Fermenter Pumps and Beer Well pumps were commissioned Friday, 10SEP10.
- Laboratory Fume Hoods
- Preliminary B&M engineering package and cost estimate was delivered week of 06SEP10.
Outreach and Community Activities
- Dr. Sabrina Trupia, Assistant Director of Biological Research was interviewed by Ethanol Producer Magazine about yeast and counting yeast (very timely, given the projects we are doing)
- Week of August 2: NCERC attended American Coalition for Ethanol Conference in Kansas City.
- Week of August 9: NCERC attended the State of St. Louis, MO Workforce meeting to learn about potential workforce training opportunities.
- Week of August 16: NCERC hosted staff of Senator Durbin to discuss ongoing projects of study and interest at the NCERC.
- Week of August 23: NCERC traveled to Midwestern ethanol plants, as a requirement of a privately funded mycotoxin project, to discuss sampling procedures and protocol. NCERC met with staff of National Corn Growers Association to discuss potential study with Texas A&M and other research projects.
Until next time, have a good, productive and safe month.
John Caupert, Director National Corn-to-Ethanol Research Center
Phone: 618-659-6737 Ext 226