I hope this message finds each and every one of you doing well.
Research & Technical Activities:
- A project to provide chemical characterization of representative syrup samples from advanced biofuel production for a private client.
- We had a complex four week long Client trial, of which utilized all the services of both the NCERC fermentation laboratory and biofuels pilot plant. The fermentation laboratory, in these types of trials, is where propagation begins.
- Data analysis for previous projects was conducted in April and a few proposals went out:
- Project testing alternate materials to use in corn fermentation to reduce water use.
- Process technology, and there in, addition to improvements in yield looking at the fates of the starches and sugars at the end of fermentation.
- NSF ATE grant proposal for workforce development, advanced biofuels technologies in the lab. For this proposal we are working on putting together a "team" that includes the SIUE STEM center and local community colleges.
- Grant proposal with a company in Portugal looking to validate and scale-up their discovery results. For this we (NCERC and the researchers in Portugal) are examining options for funding international research.
- As part of our SCA with the USDA, Dr. Nasib Qureshi (USDA/ARS) and the NCERC are assembling a proposal on improving the yield of ABE-produced bio-butanol at the 5 liter scale.
Outreach and Community Activities:
- 15th Annual Distillers Grains Symposium - Dr. Yan Zhang was an invited speaker on the subject of "The Fate of Lysine During the Bioprocess of Making DDGS".
- A project titled, "Heart Health and DDGS" was written by Dr. Yan Zhang (NCERC) and Rajat Sethi of University of Texas A&M and the Southern Illinois University Edwardsville College of Pharmacy.
Until next time, have a good, productive and safe month.
John Caupert, Director National Corn-to-Ethanol Research Center
Phone: 618-659-6737 Ext 226