The SIUE East St. Louis Center for the Performing Arts continues the legacy of the late Katherine Dunham, who founded the Performing Arts Training Center in 1964.
In fulfilling the SIUE commitment to the Metro East St. Louis community, the Center for Performing Arts has dedicated its program to enriching the lives of area citizens through the performing, cultural and Fine Arts.
The East St. Louis Center for the Performing Arts professional dance staff teaches the Community Arts Program, which offers approximately 15 workshop courses in dance. The semester courses include: tap, ballet, jazz, modern, Dunham, West African, and Hip Hop. The Performing Arts Staff also conducts dance lectures and demonstrations in area school districts. These professional dancers make up the ESLCPA Dance Company and serve as artistic consultants for community organizations. Some of the Dance Companies other duties involve developing choreography and dance movements for the Metro East schools, conducting body conditioning exercises for track and field teams, lead special workshops and presentations for St. Clair County school districts.
• To train participants in theatre, musical instruments, vocal and dance
• To provide career exploration for program participants in the arts
• To build confidence, self-esteem and discipline in program participants
• To provide exposure and on-going education for the community, region and state in terms of the arts
• To provide a positive experience for participants and audiences