The SIUE East St. Louis Center and the University has worked in partnership for years to enhance programs and continue Empowering People and Strengthening Communities
Some collaborations and plans made between the East St. Louis Center and the University include:
- Mentoring and tutoring initiative for Charter School students with the School of Education
- Head Start/Early Head Start collaborated with the School of Pharmacy, which resulted in pharmacy students giving presentations on poison education in Head Start classrooms. The Head Start Program Director is also discussing opportunities with the School of Dental Medicine about starting an Oral Health Initiative for Head Start students.
- The School of Pharmacy is also discussing implementing the following projects with the TRIO, Charter School and Head Start/Early Head Start programs:
- Service Learning Projects for pharmacy students with ESLC programs
- Three-day summer camp for Upward Bound Math & Science students
- Career shadowing opportunities in Pharmacy for ESLC students
- Providing a practicum site for pharmacy students
- The Alumni Affairs Office and the East St. Louis Center are discussing the possible partnering opportunities:
- Alumni of various disciplines could share expertise with ESLC students
- Alumni could serve on the Center's Advisory Council
- Alumni could serve as mentors to ESLC students
- Alumni could provide career shadowing opportunities
Previously implemented collaborations that continues:
- Upward Bound Math & Science has had a successful partnership with the College of Arts and Sciences, including Instructional Services and the School of Engineering. Instruction and workshops are provided to program participants as part of Math & Science's summer residential component.
- The Charter School has worked with the College of Arts and Sciences faculty to provide art instruction to Charter School students. Also, the Charter School has benefited from using student teachers provided through the School of Education.
- The School of Nursing has provided clinical services for Head Start children. Also, the Department of Psychology, Art Therapy, Mental Health and Speech Language has provided practicum experiences for its graduate students through the Head Start/Early Head Start program