February 2013 Edition of the SIUE Enrollment Management Update
- Third spring bill is due on March 15
- Web registration dates
- Deadline to drop a class without permission and receive a W on the transcript is March 22
- IACRAO Southern District workshop is March 22 in Mt. Vernon at the Rend Lake Marketplace
- All Service Center staff will attend Safe Training either on March 7 or March 11.
- Commencement eligibility lists for Spring 2013 were sent to advisors for their review on February 4, 2013. Advisors were asked to determine if 2,040 students are eligible to participate in the May commencement ceremonies.
- Registrar’s Office staff are working with staff from ITS and Academic Marketing to implement the elimination of the summer commencement ceremony beginning in 2014.
- Beginning Fall 2013, a limited number of qualifying new freshmen will be admitted into the Pharmacy program in conditional entry status. They will be considered undergraduate undeclared students within the School of Pharmacy. The following new Banner values have been added in preparation for this change:
• Program Code: 00_UG_PH
• Concentration Code: PCEP – Pharmacy Conditional Entry Program
- ITS has announced that an upgrade to the Oracle application servers that support Banner will be applied on Monday, March 4. Users may notice minor changes to the login page and/or be prompted to accept the application as a trusted site.
- ITS has established a routine outage schedule for system-wide upgrades to Blackboard. These will be scheduled for the 3rd Friday of each month, beginning at 5:00PM. The first one will occur on Friday, March 15.
So far this fiscal year, the following documents have been processed:
- 14,741 web applications
- 2,764 hard copy applications
- 10,901 high school transcripts
- 7,987 college transcripts
- 4,773 ACT score reports
Career Development Center
We are currently looking for an Assistant Director for Employer Relations to join our staff.
On February 6, we had over 50 students participate in our Mock Networking event. A big “thank you” to all staff, employers, and alumni who volunteered their time to network with the students and helped to make it a success. Special thanks to Todd Burrell for co-presenting at this event.
Our spring 2013 career fairs will be held on Tuesday, February 26, and Wednesday, February 27. We currently have 130+ employers scheduled to attend the 3 career fairs.
We will be hosting an Employer Panel on March 13, a Dining Etiquette and Professional Attire workshop on March 20, and our spring Mock Interview Day on April 2.
We have 170 students participating in a Co-op/Internship during the spring term.
CDC staff have developed new resources for student veterans; 2 workshops and a services survey were conducted.
We are currently collaborating with the Illinois Department of Employment Security to expand on-campus services to student veterans and dependents.
We are beginning a collaboration with Disability Support Services and Counseling Services to implement the Workforce Recruitment Program – a new federal initiative to increase employment for students with disabilities.
Office of Admissions
SIUE welcomed more than 650 new students to SIUE for the spring 2013 term. This number included over 60 international students, a 65% increase from spring 2012. A special thanks to Office of Admissions Review and Processing unit, International Student Services, the Graduate School, and many others who assisted with working with these new students.
The Office of Admissions collaborated with the School of Engineering, School of Nursing, School of Business and School of Pharmacy to provide direct entry options for some entering new freshmen students for the fall 2013 term. A special thanks to many individuals within these schools for helping to give this opportunity to new freshmen students and enhance our recruitment efforts at SIUE.
Through the efforts by Shauna Lehman (Assistant Director of Admissions/Review and Processing) and Kim Donahue (Assistant Director of Admissions/Academic Communications-Mailing), the Office of Admissions provided a new report for all graduate program directors to use that will allow them to see all missing items for the application file. This report, along with an applicant report continues our development of enhancing the application process for all graduate applicants. One of the many thank you’s, Hey Shauna—just wanted to let you guys know that the list on Argos with missing items is amazing!! Saves me so much time! Christine Gallagher, Psychology.
For the 2013 Meridian Scholars program, Admission Counselors made numerous calls to Meridian candidates prior to the program and then assisted with the interviews on Meridian Scholars Day on February 15, 2013. In addition, numerous other staff participated with assisting with the program.
In a span of 4 days, the Office of Admissions hosted more than 1,180 students and their guests to campus through the Meridian Scholars Program, School of Nursing Explore program, I-55 Bus Tour from Chicago, and expanded campus visit programs.
The Office of Admissions hosted the 6th Annual I-55 Bus Tour, targeting admitted minority students from Chicago. This, year, we welcomed 104 students to the SIUE campus, the most we have ever hosted. In addition, a special thanks to the Dr. Katherine Bentley, Associate Professor, Theatre and Dance, who along with various students, showcased the program and Metcalf Theatre. Click to enlarge the photos from the trip.
Also, while on the trip, students were encouraged to tweet at #siue2013. Check out some of the tweets from the trip.
@IMovLik_Ghello – I’m def’ly coming here
@SoSharvil – I-55 bus tour is cracking
@hiswife_miya – Glad I went to SIUE this past weekend and saw that this is a fine college for me. Can’t wait until this fall SIUE CLASS OF 2017
@EATN_TWEETN – I enjoyed this bus tour. I’m definitely going to SIUE
@Pocohantas_ I’ve made my decision. SIUE
@CoralineKira – Last night was pretty much my first time seeing stars at night. It was amazing.
Summer 2013 application (domestic undergraduate and graduate) - April 19, 2013
Fall 2013 application (freshmen) - May 1, 2013
Fall 2013 Springboard to Success deadline (freshmen) - May 1, 2013
Fall 2013 application (transfer and graduate) - July 26, 2013
Counselor Fly-In (high school counselors from Chicago area) - March 14-15, 2013
Explore Academic Excellence programs
(formerly open house programs)
School of Business - March 16, 2013
School of Education - April 6, 2013
Springboard programs begin - May 23 through June
Mary Jenkins has been Financial Aid Advising at SWIC and LCCC for the Dual Admission students.
Liz Caldierao presented at the Meridian Scholarship day.
February was Financial Aid Month! So far we have received 1,805 more ISIRs than this time last year!
Doris Butts is back in the office after recovering from a broken arm.
Linda Hahn is back at home from her extended hospital stay!
A big Thank You to Lora Miles for being a competitor in the run/walk/bike during the Cougar Basketball Pink Zone game and getting sponsors in memory of Peggy Guiliacci, long time Financial Aid employee.