Application to the Cooperative PhD Program
Application materials are available for download through the links below. Please note that the files utilize the Adobe Portable Document Format (pdf) and can be read using the Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don't have it installed on your computer, you can download it here.
- SIUC Graduate School Application
- Application form for SIUE Graduate School
- Transcript Guidelines
- Letters of Recommendation
- Financial Statement for International Students (this is part of the form for SIUC Graduate School)
Alternatively, all files in items 2 through 5 can be downloaded as a package (zip file) here.
For your convenience, an application checklist is available here. To avoid delays in the processing of your application, please pay attention to the following instructions:
- Since this is a program offered by both campuses cooperatively, you need to submit application forms for both SIUC Graduate School and SIUE Graduate School.
- Please mail ALL application materials to Associate Dean, SIUE School of Engineering, Campus Box 1804, Edwardsville, IL 62026-1804.
- A $50 application fee should be paid to SIUC. Applicants can pay with a credit card at the end of the online application, or they can select “pay by check”. Funds should be in US Dollars and payable to "SIUC".
- Please note that the $30 application fee called for in the SIUE Graduate School application form is waived for applicants to the cooperative program.
- Official transcripts and diplomas should conform to the transcript guidelines above. International students who have not earned their master's degree at the time of application will be required to present their final transcripts and diplomas before they are allowed to register for classes in the PhD program.
- International students need to submit the financial statement found in the SIUC application.
- Include a copy of the abstract of your master's thesis with your application.
- GRE scores for all applicants and TOEFL scores for international applicants and for non-native speakers of English. Please have the TOEFL scores forwarded directly from ETS, using the SIUE institution code of 1759. Also include a copy of your TOEFL score with your application for faster processing.
- Three letters of recommendation must be submitted in envelopes that are sealed and with each recommender's signature over the seal.
- A statement of objectives and areas of research interest. Do not exceed two pages.
- For international students: Include a photocopy of the page(s) of your passport showing your name, date of birth, and country of citizenship.