Admission & Retention Requirements
Admission Criteria | Admission Process | Retention | Downloadable Checklist
- Master’s degree or its equivalent in an engineering discipline with thesis.
- A grade-point average of 3.5 on a 4 point scale is ordinarily required for the master’s degree.
- GRE scores must be submitted to SIUE. Please use institution code 1759.
- Non-native speakers of English need to submit TOEFL scores. A minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper score), 213 (computer score), or 80 (internet-based score) is needed. Native speakers of English and students who have recently completed 100 hours of graded course work in the United States are exempt from this requirement. TOEFL Scores should be sent to SIUE using institution code 1759.
- International students must be able to show that a minimum of U.S. $40,500.00 will be available to you for each year of your proposed course of study, or that you have an assistantship to provide towards this amount.
- Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the SIUE and SIUC Graduate Schools and must be approved by the Graduate Studies Committee of the SIUC College of Engineering.
For information on GRE and/or TOEFL, or to register for either test, please contact Educational Testing Service.
Back to Top
The following documents must be submitted before applicants can be considered for admission:
- SIUC Application
- Applicants need to submit an electronic application at https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantConnectLogin.asp?id=SIuGRAD
- Create an account.
- Program selection will be Engineering Science.
- Degree selection will be Ph.D.
- Enter your area of concentration.
- You do not need to upload any documents. All documents should be sent to SIUE at the address below.
- Print a copy of your SIUC application to send to SIUE at the address below.
- SIUC Application Fee
- A non-refundable $65 application fee, in US dollars, must be submitted. Please note that the $30 application fee called for in the SIUE graduate school application form is waived for applicants to the cooperative Ph.D. program.
- All applicants must pay the application fee with a credit card at the end of the electronic application process. Please print a copy of your receipt to send to SIUE at the address below.
- Do not send cash.
- SIUE Application
- Official Bachelor’s Transcript
- Official Master’s Transcript
- Official GRE Score
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- 1 ½ Page Statement of Objectives
- Master’s Thesis Abstract
International students need to submit all documents required by domestic students. In addition to those materials, they need to submit the following:
- Financial Statement
- This document is found at the end of the SIUC application.
- Before you can be admitted, it is necessary for you to indicate that a minimum of U.S. $40,500.00 will be available to you for each year of your proposed course of study.
- Be sure to indicate if your studies are totally dependent upon an assistantship or if you have personal funds to fulfill this requirement.
- If you have personal funds, be sure to submit official documentation of funds and amounts via a recent bank statement.
- Official TOEFL Score
- Copy of Passport
Application Submission (All Students)
Please mail ALL application materials to:
SIUE School of Engineering
Campus Box 1804
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1804
Back to Top
Requirements for Retention
The rules of the SIUC Graduate School apply. http://gradschool.siu.edu/about-us/grad-catalog/. In addition, students holding graduate assistantships are required to carry no more than two incomplete grades at any given time to be eligible to continue their assistantship appointments.