Admission & Retention Requirements
Requirements for Admission
- A master's degree or its equivalent in an engineering discipline.
- Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the SIUC Graduate School and must be approved by the Graduate Studies Committee of SIUC College of Engineering.
- A non-refundable $50 application fee should accompany the SIUC Graduate School application form. Funds should be in US Dollars and payable to "SIUC". Your cashier’s check or international money order must be drawn on a United States bank. Note that the $30 application fee called for in the SIUE Graduate School application form is waived for applicants to the cooperative PhD program. Please DO NOT send cash.
- A grade-point average of 3.5 on a 4 point scale is ordinarily required for the master’s degree.
- GRE scores must be submitted.
- Non-native speakers of English need to submit TOEFL scores. A minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper score) or 213 (computer score) is needed. Native speakers of English and students who have received bachelor's or master's degrees in the United States are exempt from this requirement.
For information on GRE and/or TOEFL, or to register for either test, please contact Educational Testing Service.
Requirements for Retention
The rules of the SIUC Graduate School apply. In addition, students holding graduate assistantships are required to carry no more than two incomplete grades at any given time to be eligible to continue their assistantship appointments.