Introduction to Sigma Lamda Chi
Sigma Lambda Chi, the national honor society for leaders in construction, has as its fundamental purpose the recognition of outstanding students in the field of construction. Membership in the society is an honor conferred on students based on outstanding scholarship, leadership, and character, regardless of gender, race, color, or creed.
There are three types of membership in Sigma Lambda Chi.
- Active Membership is offered to students currently enrolled in the construction program who have met the Constitutional requirements for membership in Sigma Lambda Chi:
- Completed the equivalent of two academic years of study toward such a degree.
- Obtained an overall scholastic average in the upper twenty percent of his or her incoming class.
- Studied at the present institution for the preceding six months.
- Participated in one or more extracurricular activities.
- Demonstrated leadership, character, and personality traits which give promise of reflecting credit upon Sigma Lambda Chi.
- Works in some phase of construction or its allied fields.
- Received an affirmative vote by secret ballot of three-fourths of the Chapter’s Active Members (quorum required).
- Alumni Membership automatically follows Active membership upon graduation.
- Honorary Membership is available in three categories:
- Faculty Honorary Membership is offered to those faculty and academic administrators who have fulfilled the constitutional requirements for Faculty Honorary Membership.
- Chapter Honorary Membership is offered to those from industry or academia whom the Chapter deems to have merited such an honor.
- National Honorary Membership is offered to those whom the National Executive Committee deems to have merited such an honor.