SIUE Office of Human Resources
Campus Box 1040
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1040
Phone: (618) 650-2190
Fax: (618) 650-2696
Rendleman, Room 3210
Hours: M - F, 8 am - 4:30 pm
Office Support Specialist
Head Start/Early Head Start (E. St. Louis)
The Office Support Specialist performs clerical duties for Head Start central office and classroom staff.
Responsibilities and duties of this position may include, but are not limited to:
• Prepare purchase requisitions and AP vouchers
• Prepare purchase orders as requested
• Maintain/track all vendor expenditures in Head Start and Early Head Start
• Maintains payroll information and reports bi-weekly payroll for Head Start/Early Head Start staff members
• Answer telephone requests and provided necessary information or directs to proper source
• Assist in completion of travel and training arrangements, pre and post
• Supports Program Director and Assistant Program Director
The Office Support Specialist may be assigned other related tasks in support of the department's mission and goals.
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Twelve (12) months of clerical/office support work experience.
3. Any one or combination totaling twenty-four (24) months from the following categories:
(a) work experience performing clerical/office support work
(b) vocational training that provided a knowledge of generally accepted clerical procedures
(c) college or university course work in Office Occupations, Business Administration, Business
Education, or closely related fields 36 semester hours = twenty-four (24) months
(d) college or university course work in any curriculum 60 semester hours = twenty-four (24) months
4. Ability to keyboard accurately at a rate of 40 net w.p.m.
Additional Skills and Knowledge Required
1. Extensive knowledge of office support and general office practices and procedures
2. Extensive knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure and formatting
3. Ability to operate standard office equipment such as document production and reprographic equipment
4. Ability to utilize various software packages
$2,278 per month
Illinois residency required
This position is a current civil service vacancy at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Applicants compete by examination. If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete and submit a Civil Service application to the Office of Human Resources. Examination appointments are required. NOTE: Some positions may be represented by a union and may require union dues.
Qualified applicants must submit a Civil Service application http://www.siue.edu/humanresources/forms/pdf/APPLICATION_FOR_CIVIL_SERVICE_EMPLOYMENT.doc (required), resume and unofficial transcripts to:
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Office of Human Resources
Campus Box 1040
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1040
Or email your Civil Service application (required) and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
July 10, 2013
Only one Civil Service application is required to be completed per year. Please use only one application to apply for multiple positions. The Office of Human Resources will not contact applicants that do not meet the minimum qualifications listed. If qualifying by education, you must submit your transcript at the time of application. Applicants qualifying for Veteran's preference must submit a copy of form DD214 at the time of application. Applicants will be subject to a background check and/or drug screening prior to an offer of employment.
For more information please visit the Office of Human Resources website at www.siue.edu/humanresources or call Civil Service Testing at 618-650-2190.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, national origin, religion, disability, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation or veteran's status in violation of Title VII.
The SIUE Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://www.siue.edu/securityreport. The report contains campus safety and security information, crime statistics, fire safety policies, and fire statistics for the previous three calendar years. This report is published in compliance with Federal law, titled the "Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act" and the Higher Education Opportunity Act also known as the "Campus Fire Safety Right to Know." For those without computer access, a paper copy of the report may be obtained, with a 24-hour notice, from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration, Rendleman Hall, Room 2228, 618-650-2536.
With a focus on empowering people and strengthening communities, the SIUE East St. Louis Center is dedicated to improving the lives of families and individuals-from pre-school through adult-in the Metro East region. Head Start/Early Head Start, a charter high school and a center for performing arts are among 10 programs that offer the community renewed hope and an opportunity to reach educational, career and life goals.
Learn more at siue.edu/facilities.