Mechanical/Electrical System Failure
Should an electrical or mechanical system failure occur in a University building, it may become necessary to evacuate the facility. University Police will seek input from Facilities Management prior to making a decision.
- If you are in an area where power has failed, call 911, providing the dispatcher with your name, location and department. Describe the nature of the problem and any additional locations that are without power.
- If the lights are out, proceed cautiously to an area that has emergency lights.
- If you are trapped in an elevator, remain calm and use the emergency telephone or call button.
- University Police will advise you when to evacuate the building. If requested, evacuate the building immediately. Move to a clear area at least 500 feet away from the building.
- Assist persons with disabilities in exiting the building.
- Keep roadways, fire lanes, hydrants and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- If you are asked and if you wish to do so, assist the emergency crews.
- Unless University Police personnel direct you to an alternate location, you should report to the following facilities to await instructions:
- Morris University Center
- Lovejoy Library (if Morris University Center is included in the threat)
School of Dental Medicine
- Building 273, Administration/Student Union Building
- Building 279-lower level, Science Building (if Building 273 is included in the threat)
East St. Louis Higher Education Campus
- Building D
- Building B (if Building D is included in the threat)
From these locations, you will be advised when it is safe to re-enter the evacuated building.
Do not re-enter an evacuated site unless directed to do so by University Police.