Dr. Laura A. Pawlow
Education: Ph.D., 2002
University of Southern Mississippi
About Dr. Pawlow
Laura Pawlow, winner in 2009 of the Alumni Association's Great Teacher Award, received her Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the University of Southern Mississippi. She completed her pre-doctoral internship and post-doctoral fellowship at the Medical University of South Carolina. She is currently an Associate Professor in the Clinical Adult Psychology Graduate Program at SIUE and the university's Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities program Coordinator. Laura currently teaches Cognitive Behavioral Therapy at the graduate level and Biological Psychology at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. Her clinical interests are behavioral medicine and weight management and her research interests are overweight and obesity, gastric bypass surgery, psychoneuroimmunology, and issues regarding the teaching of psychology. Her work has been published in Biological Psychology, International Journal of Obesity, Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, Obesity Research, and Training and Education in Professional Psychology, and other journals in the field.
Dr. Pawlow is available to mentor students interested in careers in clinical psychology, health psychology, and neuropsychology.
- Pawlow, L. (2012). Other approaches in the treatment of night eating syndrome. In J. Lundgren, K. Allison, & A. Stunkard (eds), Night eating syndrome: definition, assessment, and treatment (pp. 266-281). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Pawlow, L. & Retzlaff, W. (2012). How undergraduate researchers at SIUE have become change agents for sustainability issues. Council on Undergraduate Research Quarterly, 33, 28-32.
- Haas, C., Pawlow, L., Pettibone, J., & Segrist, D. (2012). An intervention for the negative influence of media on body esteem. College Student Journal, 46, 405-418.
- Pawlow, L. (2010). Standardized test and other criteria in admissions decisions: A classroom activity. Teaching of Psychology, 37, 190-192.
- Pawlow, L., & Pomerantz, A. (2010). A Growing Application: Health Psychology. In A. Pomerantz (ed.), Clinical Psychology, 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Segrist, D., & Pawlow, L. (2009). Whom do you know? Demonstrating networking in a careers in psychology course. Journal of Instructional Psychology, 36, 352-356.
- Pawlow, L., Pomerantz, A., & Sullivan, B.F. (2007). Protecting undergraduate volunteers: Balancing confidentiality with the duty to protect and/or warn. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 1, 147-152.
- Segrist, D., & Pawlow, L. (2007). The mixer: Introducing the concept of factor analysis. Teaching of Psychology, 34, 121-123.
- Martin, C, O'Neil, P, & Pawlow, L. (2006). Changes in food cravings during low-calorie and very-low calorie diets. Obesity Research, 14, 115-121.