Dr. Stephen Hupp
Education: Ph.D., 2002
Louisiana State University
Clinical Child Psychology, Parenting, Prevention, Head Start, Scientific Skepticism
About Dr. Hupp
Stephen Hupp, winner of a Teaching Recognition Award in 2011, is a Professor in the Department of Psychology at SIUE. He obtained his Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Louisiana State University. Dr. Hupp completed his predoctoral internship at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (Munroe-Meyer Institute) where he provided clinical services for children and adolescents.
Dr. Hupp is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist and the Behavioral Health Consultant for the St. Clair County Head Start program. He commonly presents research at the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT), and his general interests include the assessment, treatment, and prevention of behavioral and emotional problems in children. Interests also include parenting, social-emotional development, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, autism spectrum disorder, dissemination of evidence-based practices, and the promotion of skeptical thinking about pseudoscience. Dr. Hupp co-authored a book with Dr. Jeremy Jewell entitled Great Myths of Child Development (2015).
Dr. Hupp teaches courses in child development, applied behavior analysis, clinical child psychology, prevention programs, and field study.
Dr. Hupp is available to provide mentorship to students regarding clinical psychology, pediatric psychology, applied behavior analysis, and skepticism.
- Hupp, S., & Jewell, J. (2015). Great Myths of Child Development. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hupp, S. D. A., McKenney, E., Schmittel, M., McCobin, M., Owens, S. A. (2013). Disseminate, debunk, differentiate: Teaching about evidence-based treatments in a child psychology course. the Behavior Therapist, 36, 14-16.
- Hupp, S. D. A., Stary, A. K., Bradshaw, K. N., & Owens, S. (2012). Debunk, debunk, debunk: Some evidence for why dissemination is only half the battle. the Behavior Therapist, 35, 76-78.
- Hupp, S. D. A., Stary, A. K., & Everett, G. E. (2012). Implementation guidelines: Developing and implementing Social Story interventions. Journal of Evidence-Based Practices in Schools, 13, 141-144.
- Schreder, S. J., Hupp, S. D. A., Everett, G. E., & Krohn, E. (2012). Targeting reading fluency through brief experimental analysis and parental intervention over the summer. Journal of Applied School Psychology, 28, 200-220. doi: 10.1080/15377903.2012.670047
- Hupp, S. D. A., Reitman, D., Everett, G. E., Allen, K. D., & Kelley, M. L. (2011). Measuring change during behavioral parent training using the Parent Instruction-Giving Game with Youngsters (PIGGY): A clinical replication. Child & Family Behavior Therapy, 33, 289-298. doi: 10.1080/07317107.2011.623091
- Wakefield, K. & Hupp, S. D. A. (2011). Cognitive-behavioral therapy. In S. Goldstein & J. A. Naglieri (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Child Development and Behavior. New York: Springer.
- Hupp, S. D. A., Jewell, J. D., Reitman, D., & LeBlanc, M. (2010). Competencies in child clinical psychology. In J. C. Thomson & M. Hersen (Eds), Handbook of Clinical Psychology Competencies. New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
- Everett, G. E., Hupp, S. D. A., Olmi, D. J. (2010). Time-out with parents: A descriptive analysis of 30 years of research. Education & Treatment of Children, 33, 235-259. doi: 10.1353/etc.0.0091
- Hupp, S. D.A., LeBlanc, M., Jewell, J. D., & Warnes, E. (2009). History and overview. In J. Matson (Ed), Practitioners Guide to Social Behavior and Skills in Children. New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
- Hupp, S. D. A., & Jewell, J. D. (2008). Evaluating programs for impaired driving. Addiction Professional, March/April, 29-31.
- Hupp, S. D. A., Reitman, D., & Jewell, J. D. (2008). Cognitive behavioral theory. In Hersen, M. & Gross, A. M. (Eds.), Handbook of Clinical Psychology Volume II: Children and Adolescents. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Hupp, S. D. A., Reitman, D., Forde, D., Shriver, M., & Kelley, M. L. (2008). Advancing the assessment of parent-child interactions: Development of the Parent Instruction-Giving Game with Youngsters. Behavior Therapy, 39, 91-106. doi: 10.1016/j.beth.2007.05.004
- Jewell, J. D., Hupp, S. D. A., & Segrist, D. (2008). Assessing DUI risk: Examination of the Behaviors & Attitudes Drinking & Driving Scale (BADDS). Addictive Behaviors, 33, 853-865. doi: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2008.02.002
- Dodd, S., Hupp, S. D. A., Jewell, J., & Krohn, E. (2008). Using parents and siblings during a Social Story intervention for two children diagnosed with PDD-NOS. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities, 20, 217-229.
- Hupp, S. D. A., & Jewell, J. D. (2007). Behaviors & Attitudes Drinking & Driving Scale (BADDS). Springville, IN: SASSI Research Institute.
- Jewell, J., & Hupp, S. D. A. (2005). Examining the effects of Fatal Vision Goggles on changing attitudes and behaviors related to drinking and driving. Journal of Primary Prevention, 26, 553-565.
- Hupp, S. D. A. & Allen, K. D. (2005). Using an audio cueing procedure to increase rate of parental attention during parent training. Child & Family Behavior Therapy, 27, 43-50. doi: 10.1300/J019v27n02_04
- Hupp, S. D. A. & Adams, S. (2004). Making diagnostic labels reflective of environmental influences: A rose by any other name may not be so thorny. the Behavior Therapist, 27, 4-7.
- Reitman, D., Murphy, M. A., Hupp, S. D. A., & O’Callaghan, P. M. (2004). Behavior change and perceptions of change: Evaluating the effectiveness of a token economy. Child and Family Behavior Therapy, 26, 17-36. doi: 10.1300/J019v26n02_02
- Gulley, V., Northup, J., Hupp, S., Spera, S., Lavelle, J., & Ridgway, A. (2003). Sequential evaluation of behavioral treatments and methylphenidate dosage for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Journal Applied Behavior Analysis, 36, 375-378. doi: 10.1901/jaba.2003.36-375
- Hupp, S. D. A., Reitman, D., Northup, J. O’Callaghan, P., & LeBlanc, M. (2002). The effects of delayed rewards, tokens, and stimulant medication on sportsmanlike behavior with ADHD-diagnosed children. Behavior Modification, 26, 148-162. doi: 10.1177/0145445502026002002
- Reitman, D., Rhode, P., Hupp, S. D. A., & Altobello, C. (2002). Development and validation of the Parental Authority Questionnaire - Revised. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 24, 119-127. doi: 10.1037/t08383-000
- Reitman, D., & Hupp, S. D. A. (2002). Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. In M. Hersen (Ed.) Clinical behavior therapy: Adults and children (pp. 400-419). New York: Wiley.
- Reitman, D., Currier, R., Hupp, S. D. A., Rhode, P., Murphy, M., & O’Callaghan, P. (2001). Psychometric characteristics of the Parenting Scale in a Head Start population. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 30, 514-524. doi: 10.1207/S15374424JCCP3004_08
- Reitman, D., Hupp, S. D. A., O’Callaghan, P., Gulley, V., & Northup, J. (2001). The influence of a token economy and stimulant medication on attentive and disruptive behavior during sports with children diagnosed with ADHD. Behavior Modification, 25, 305-323. doi: 10.1177/0145445501252007
- Hupp, S. D. A., & Reitman, D. (2000). Parent-assisted modification of pivotal social skills for a child diagnosed with pervasive developmental disorder. Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions, 2, 183-187. doi: 10.1177/109830070000200308
- Hupp, S. D. A., & Reitman, D. (1999). Improving sports skills and sportsmanship in children diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Child and Family Behavior Therapy, 21, 35-51. doi: 10.1300/J019v21n03_03