Cardiovascular Physiology Laboratory
The Cardiovascular Physiology Laboratory (CPL) is equipped to provide students with experiences in cardiovascular, metabolic, performance fitness testing. Prior to working in the CPL, students will learn how to properly conduct fitness and health assessments. Students will be taught how to perform health assessments, determine health risk, and select the appropriate cardiovascular fitness evaluation. In addition, students will learn how to interpret results and make appropriate recommendations for individualized exercise prescription.
Students will start with the basics of cardiovascular fitness testing (risk assessment, heart rate, blood pressure) and then progress to more advanced clinical stress tests on either a treadmill or a bicycle ergometer. Students will then learn to conduct tests designed to measure aerobic and anaerobic power, energy expenditure of exercise, and resting energy expenditure. Finally, students will gain experiences in interpreting and writing final reports for clients within health, medical, and fitness settings.
- 3 ParvoMedics metabolic carts
- 3 Trackmaster TMX425C treadmills
- Lode Excalibur Sport Electronic Ergometer
- Lode Corival Electronic Ergometer
- Velotron Electronic Ergometer
- Cosmed K4b2 portable metabolic system with spirometry
- Burdick Electrocardiography
- Polar Heart Rate Monitors
- Actical Accelerometers
- Lactate-Scout Hand Held Analyzer
- Blood Glucose Hand Held Analyzer