International Training Program in Pedagogy
SIUE has formed a partnership and exchange of scholars with Northwest Normal University (NWNU), China
. NWNU proposed to send 4 faculty members from its institution to the SIUE School of Education during fall 2012. Goals for NWNU included:
- Expose Chinese faculty to American style pedagogic practices,
- Expand faculty awareness of how English is utilized in the American university classroom (e.g., discussion, questioning, etc.),
- Prepare faculty for teaching their respective disciplines in English,
- Enhance exposure to spoken English by providing an immersion context for faculty.
Goals for SIUE included:
- Introduce faculty and students to university faculty from China,
- Identify possible avenues of international collaboration with NWNU,
- Provide opportunities for personal interaction between SIUE and NWNU faculty and students through SIUE International Student Admissions. These opportunities will facilitate cultural understanding, and curricular and research collaboration,
- Develop a successful pilot for exposing international faculty members to U.S. pedagogy that could be replicated.