Degrees Available at SIUE
- Master of Science in Education
Teacher Certification: An endorsement as Technology Specialist is available for students who complete the Educational Technologies option, and an endorsement as a Library Information Specialist is available for students who complete the degree option. Endorsements are granted through the Illinois State Board of Education on existing teaching certificates.
Why Instructional Technology?
The Instructional Technology program prepares persons for a variety of instructional development and technology-related positions in education, business, and industry. Four areas of emphasis are available:
- Educational Technologies enables teachers and other school personnel to plan, implement, and evaluate technology-based instruction and learning activities in P-12 settings. Students interested in leadership roles in educational technology, such as technology coordinators in schools or school districts, can work toward meeting the standards for the Illinois State Board of Education’s Technology Specialist certificate through this program.
- Instructional Design & Performance Improvement focuses on skills necessary for careers in instructional technology, performance improvement, instructional design, and training in non-school settings.
- The study of Interactive Multimedia Technologies is appropriate for people wishing to pursue the design and development of various interactive multimedia and web-based learning experiences.
- Library Information Specialist enables teachers and other school personnel to learn how to plan, implement, and evaluate library information-based activities in P-12 settings. Students pursuing this option will become knowledgeable users of library information as well as designers of curriculum and instruction that effectively utilize and integrate library information to improve student learning. Students interested in Library Information Specialist endorsement can work towards meeting the standards for the Illinois State Board of Education’s Library Information Specialist endorsement through this program.
Several unusual features of the program provide students with important practical experiences that complement course work. Juried presentations allow students to share their work with a jury of professors and peers, and defend their work in light of their own goals and the content of their degree program. Design Studios provide opportunities to work on real-world projects for a variety of real clients to develop skills in collaboration, design, development tools and techniques, and project management.
The program prepares individuals for a variety of instructional development and technology-related positions in education, business, and industry. Options within the program include Educational Technologies, Library Information Specialist, Instructional Design and Performance Improvement, and Interactive Multimedia Technologies.
Sample Curriculum >>