Addressing Learning about Sexual Orientation (ALSO)
Who are we?
ALSO is a committee affiliated with the University Safe Zone Committee and the School of Education Diversity Committee.
The ALSO faculty are from different academic disciplines and departments in the School of Education. Our current committee members include:
Our purpose is to initiate or respond to requests for accurate information about issues of sexual orientation, particularly as they affect public schools and educational settings. What do we provide?
- We provide special presentations during special sessions (Women's History Month, Workshops, Faculty Brown Bag discussions) or existing classes (Kinesiology; Health Education, Educational Psychology, Elementary Education).
- We work mostly within the School of Education, although we have also provided workshops for area social workers, and for psychologists and interns at the SIUE Counseling Center. We would consider requests from any group.
- Our sessions vary in length from 30 minutes to 3 hours, according to the needs of the requesting group.
- During sessions we try to engage learners in activities and discussions to enable them to increase their knowledge, develop understanding, and explore their own responsibilities as professionals in educational institutions.
- We research issues of sexual orientation in relationship to education and schooling
For more information, or to request a presentation please contact Nicole Klein or call 650-3028.